Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 11:45:53 AM

Author Topic: direct input commands in mach 3 mill  (Read 4256 times)

direct input commands in mach 3 mill
« on: July 04, 2011, 11:04:41 AM »
Hi all.
I need some help with a problem I am having with Mach 3 milling.
I am acutally running my astronamy telescope using nema 23 stepper motors and Mach 3 milling program.
When I am tracking a star / planet I use the X axis to control the rotation of the telescope mount.
I use the Y axis to control the up and down movement.
I use the Z axis to control the focus.
Now the problem I need to solve is this.
When the G code is running the X axis I need to be able to 'direct input ' commands to the Y and Z axis without stopping the program running.
Is this possible and if so how.
Thanks

Offline djc

•  47 47
    • View Profile
Re: direct input commands in mach 3 mill
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 07:40:55 AM »
...When the G code is running the X axis I need to be able to 'direct input ' commands to the Y and Z axis without stopping the program running....

It doesn't work like this. You can't have a continuously-running axis and then do motion on other axes.

Without being terribly rude, you need to read up on the concept of coordinated linear motion and understand and accept what it means.

What you want to do is certainly possible in a way, but not using 'standard' Mach. One route to go down might be to set up X as a step-and-direction SPINDLE. You could then control X- with G03/G04, with the S-word in reality being the F-word and do what you like with Y- and Z- in the meantime.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 08:12:19 AM »
Hi there
If I had the time I would read up the said information unfortunately I own a steel fab company and I work 14 hours a day 7 days a week.
This is just a hobby of mine.
I converted a small mill to cnc many years ago and had no problems with that set up.
I just wanted to see if it was possible to control my telescope with the same set up.
I will look into what you have said as it seems to be the ideal way to sort out this problem.
thank you

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 07:37:54 PM »
There are tracking programs available which provide stepper movement of the telescope ( not sure about the focus though). Been ages since i read about it and long time ago used a program that would allow my beam to track satellites for ham radio use. Not remembering all that stuff anymore........ ;)

You could use and XBOX 360 to manipulate the telescope via the steppers.... just a simple thought ???

RICH
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 10:43:10 AM »
cheers for that rich.
I think I might have it sussed.
I have found a controler that will allow me to control all three motors indipendantly

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 10:07:31 PM »
Happy star gazing my friend.
You may want to be on the look out for my star, it's the bright one at the end of all the stars which seem to be horizontal to the horizon, or said another way by my better half, horizontaly on the couch again. It doesn't shine much when my eyes are closed.  :D ;) ???

RICH