Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:48:48 AM

Author Topic: Lost Steps  (Read 12296 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Steps
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 01:59:18 AM »
And yes I did save the settings and even opened up setting tab to be sure they changed.  You don't need to reboot Mach for Motor Setting Changes do you?

Sounds like you did it right.

If slowing the Velocity to 1000 made no difference then it blows my theory out of the water.

If it was a problem with Mach itself then I am certain it would have also been discovered by others, after all thousands of professional and semi-professionals use Mach on a daily basis.

Could you perhaps post or email me a section of GCode where this problem happens so I can try to duplicate the same error here ?

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline SMA

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 02:12:03 AM »
Hey Tweakie,

Ok so I attached the crossover with the four lines of code before and after.  I feel like I am overlooking something, as I am sure many feel the same, and that it is something simple.  I have dealt with the difficult things with no results.

To add to it all I cut a board this evening that was only out about 1.25mm.  this is well within reason and would be fine if that is all it was ever out.  The interesting thing here is that the crossover happened at the tail and not the nose of the board.

Either way here is the bit of code. 

The search continues

Stefan

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 03:37:21 AM »
Brave try Stefan but for some reason the code did not attach. (try zipping the file perhaps).

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline SMA

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 03:46:33 AM »
Hey Tweakie,

Classic case of forgot to attach.

S

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 06:47:47 AM »
SMA,
Confirm your steps per mm using a dial indicator and not the laser since that is not accurate enough for checking the step value.
You are consistant in the amount you are out and swapping axis implied that it is not a drive problem / signal path problem.
- Test that a simple movement of Z is consistant , post reversing the direction ...both up and down movement.
  set your steps per, the movement should agree with DRO display ( not using the laser please.......)
- Now check for backlash / non movement on reversal

RICH

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 07:22:27 AM »
Hi Stefan,

Don't know if this helps but I couldn’t get anything, error wise, from your crossover file so went back to look at your earlier files.
I am trying to understand your “surfboard file top” and “surfboard file bottom” but the conventions used are rather unusual, at least for my machine.
You seem to have the X axis as the long axis and Z zero at the bottom of the work rather than the top. The final GCode lines of taking Z to zero, switching off the spindle then returning to X0, Y0 would break my cutter but you seem to have your Z axis reversed.
By convention +Z is usually upward (away from the work) and –Z is downward (towards the work).
I ran this file 4 times without error (just cutting air). I had to exchange the X and Y axis in the code so it would fit my machine table (the Y axis is usually the long axis by convention) and scale it down a bit but other than that it ran OK and my machine returned exactly to Z zero each time (using feeler gauges to check).
The GCode compilation is generally weird particularly with the jumping feed rates from F200 to F13000 for no good reason and there is a small Z axis glitch halfway along the long axis in both directions which I cannot understand so I would only score this 4 out of 10 for nice GCode to use.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline SMA

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2011, 04:07:17 AM »
I checked to see that steps per mm is accurate and it is (not using the laser).  What is interesting is that I changed steps per mm and ran file again and still was out about .5mm per cycle of my z test file which just moves z up and down 124mm.  Change motor speeds, F commands to 500, step 5 dir 5 and again no change.  Exactly .5mm.  Very  weird.4

This is minor now since my new problem is the machine just not working at all.  I started a new post about this.  Man it is like I, or the machine, are cursed. 

S

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2011, 06:03:14 AM »
Glad you have a sense of humour S  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline SMA

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 03:14:53 AM »
Hey Guys,

Still losing steps.  As requested I am going to post details of my motors and a picture of my machine.

The issue remains the same.  Z axis loses steps even when slowed to 50% of it's usual operating speed.  Y loses exactly half as many steps as Z and X loses none.  X is doing most of the work but it is not overcoming as many g's as Z (considering gravity). 

The gearbox is a 5:1 Ratio
Ananheim Automation
GBPH-0601-NS-AA231-375
Back Lash 10 ARC Min

The Stepper Motor
60HS100DE06B

Gecko Drivers
The Mach Version is the latest Version R3.043.022

I am not sure about the power supply but I am finding out from the designer asap.

What is weird is that steps are lost no matter the motor settings.  Slow it down and you get the same result as when you speed things up.

Everything mechanical has, at this point, been gone over far to many times to have missed something.

I am still of the mind that it is a setting issue but I am a babe in the woods.  The reason I think this is due to the consistentcy of loss.

I have posted the file that I have been using to test Z.  It just moves Z up and down several times.  As posted before I end up with the same step loss not matter the Fcommands or speed settings of the motors.

sorry for the distance between posts.  i was trying to get caught up and keep customers happy.

S

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 04:21:12 AM »
Hi Stefan,

A wild guess - your little Z Axis gearbox is jumping a tooth.

Tweakie.
PEACE