Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:09:33 PM

Author Topic: Edge probing  (Read 6130 times)

Edge probing
« on: June 30, 2011, 05:06:08 PM »
Edge probing for reverse engineering a part.
Re: Edge probing
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 07:48:30 PM »
Hi,
For edge probing (as opposed to surface contour probing) & feature measurements you might be interested in the abilities of the MachStdMill package.  See www.CalypsoVentures.com for more info.

Dave
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 08:28:56 PM »
It doesn't appear to do this.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 09:10:04 PM »
Perhaps I didn't understand what you are looking for....

AS I'm now not sure what you want to be able to do, here is an overview what the MachStdMill package can do:
MachStdMill can use a probe to find vertical, horizontal and angled surfaces.  it will also find centers of rectangular and circular pockets and extrusions; measure width of valleys & ridges, find cylinder diameters from the side etc.  
While the probe operations are intended for job setup etc., the operations report the coordinates and sizes of things found by the probing operations. For simple reverse engineering, there is a button in the software called "probe only" - this allows you to use the operations to find part features - but not move WC zeros etc. The combination makes it relatively easy to probe to locations & dimensions of part features etc.

While the facility was not targeted to do CMM type of operations, it will let you use mach to do simple CMM like things.

Dave

« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:21:32 PM by DaveCVI »
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 10:01:10 PM »
There are only 2 that I know of . Stirlings "crawler" and the G31probingArrays.

(;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 03:52:40 AM »
Stirlings program doesn't work. I think the probe array program is going to do what I need.

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 07:11:47 AM »
Stirlings program doesn't work.
This is not fair or true and I'm sorry you've chosen to put it like that. As I explained in our PM correspondence it clearly states in your controller manual that Ajax handles G31/probing differently from the standard Mach3 way and that's why my routines don't work FOR YOU. Here's the relevant section from your manual.

The Ajax MPU11 supports high speed probing through the use of the G31 command – however the
current implementation differs slightly from the normal Mach3 implementation.  In particular, the point
of contact is written to OEM DROs 2000 through 2007, and OEM DRO 1999 is used to indicate
whether or not a contact has occurred.  Also, when using G31 within a macro to digitize an object, all
output should be explicitly written to a file (rather than relying on the OpenDigFile and CloseDigFile
functions) – the macro should also wait until the G31 is complete before issuing any further commands.

FWIW I was going to see whether I could re-write my routine specially for your ajax controller - somehow now I don't feel so inclined.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 10:08:42 AM »
So the story changes a bit. Neither Stirling Crawler OR the arrays will work with AJAX. Ajax is a hybrid of mach3 AND not all things work the same.

Stirlings Crawler is a work of art and works FINE here with a standard version of MACH3.

SO you should be over at the AJAX forum having THEM fix your problems after all THEY are the ones that created their VERSION and MADE the money off of you so THEY should be the ones to fix your G331 problem.

OH thats right they don't ever FIX their problems do they ????

SORRY about your luck, (;-) TP