Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:56:03 PM

Author Topic: OD Taper Wizard Help Needed  (Read 7365 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: OD Taper Wizard Help Needed
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 02:41:39 PM »
Default lathe xml is Rad mode so thats the difference between the two above.

I am using Rev 3.043.037 here on the home computer.

Hood
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 04:25:35 PM »
That makes sense, but any other ideas about why this is happening?

Mr. Technical

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 04:30:28 PM »
Can you try again and post the code as it seems really strange that you get the toolpath you do from that code when I get something totally different.
Hood
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 05:17:05 PM »
Sure.  This is the code that I generated from the test computer running the same personalized XML that I posted.  Also, I used the same settings for start/end etc as I listed in the first post.  However, although I think the feed and speed settings are the same, I'm not sure.  If that causes any issues, please let me know.

Mr. Technical

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 06:06:55 PM »
That code seems to look fine for me with your xml, have you run it to see?
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 09:35:50 PM »
I haven't used the OD taper wizard in some time and will need to repost to this thread since i was using a modified version of that wizard.
If i remember correctly the original wizard did not provide the correct angle from the code and the angle is 1/2 the total angle. By incorrect angle i am meaing
that when the G code is backplotted and looked at in CAD you will find that it is off by a small amount.......rounds to nearest angle???

I'll try and find my notes and see why a friend modified that wizard for me. Also that wizard doesn't have any built in safeguards.

Sorry if I cause confusion but will clarify when i find my notes..........Just a case of young senior memory moment..... ;D
RICH
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 06:02:29 PM »
Hi Rich,

Thanks for shedding some light on this, and glad to hear I may not be crazy.  I'll be anxious to hear what will fix this. 

Hood,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but I appreciate the help!  Let's see if I have any questions after Rich comes back.

Mr. Technical

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 09:46:45 PM »
Mr. Technical,
Have a look at the attached.  ;)
RICH
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 10:51:37 AM »
Thanks for laying it all out so clearly Rich.  I have cross checked my results (using the standard Mach3 Turn xml AND my customized one, SBLathe) on the testbed PC and everything matches up to your outputs in both Radius and Diameter mode which makes me happy   ;D

I have to check all of this on the lathe itself, but using the same xml should give me the same results.  The strange thing is still that what was actually cut using the SBLathe xml doesn't look like either of your drawings.  The nose is very blunt, almost like it cut 27 degrees as measured from the face and not the axis. It's similar to your first drawing if it were rotated 90 degrees CCW.

It definitely looks like I need to stay in Diameter mode to use this wizard.  I'll experiment more and try to find what I may be doing to mess this up, and post it here of course.  Thanks again!

Mr. Technical