Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:38:47 AM

Author Topic: Touch probe to Point Cloud  (Read 10626 times)

Touch probe to Point Cloud
« on: June 27, 2011, 07:32:30 PM »
Recently we started using Mach3 to control our MaxNC 15 CL, largely because we needed to upgrade our operating system (Windows 98 just won't cut it anymore  :D )
Under the previous software we had a program simply called Probe which allowed me to create a point cloud (in several different file formats, including DXF) using a touch probe instead of a turning spindle.  So far, the only wizard I have found in Mach3 which does anything of this sort is based on an A axis.  I want to use only X, Y, & Z.  The only reply I have received from Mach3 Support so far told me to look up G-Code G31.  I have done so (by using http://www.tormach.com/machine_codes.html), but that does not tell me how to do what I am trying to do, most especially it does not tell me how to save the data to a point cloud in a file with a name and format.  There is a reference to a Macro M40, but no explanation of what that is (so I have no idea if it is specific to a given hardware, software, or what).
At this point my boss is extremely frustrated and ready to find another software to do the job.
Please help me!

MacAmergin
Re: Touch probe to Point Cloud
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:16:21 PM »
Their trying to tell you politely they don't have a wizard for point cloud or care to write one, but you can write your own wizard based on the G31 sample. ???
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 01:29:27 AM »
Yeah, that's my impression too.  I hope we are wrong.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 02:42:08 AM »
Hi Mac,

The point cloud issue has been looked at by many members over the last few years and really it has all just fizzled out.
If any member has had success then he has not posted the results and full details of his project for others to follow on and develop / refine the idea further. This is all bit of a shame really but considering the mode of operation with the G31 - to get any degree of resolution the probe has to be tiny and the stepover small. Most Z axis are slow and it could easily take upwards of 12 hours to get a reasonable point cloud for even an extremely small piece of jewellery. In my opinion, with the present technology, point cloud it is just not a practical proposition for Mach3. However, there are other ideas out there and a small 'pecker' type head providing digital position may be able to increase the digitizing speed 100 fold and this could change the whole ball game.

Mach3 is quite capable of running a purpose built digitizing head but this is a solution for tomorrow not for today so unlikely to satisfy your boss, sorry.  :'(

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 11:45:24 AM »
What about the digitize wizard?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 10:46:31 PM »
There is NOTHING wrong with mach creating point clouds, IT works just fine BUT it is NOT instant oatmeal. It takes more than a minute to create one.

(;-) TP

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 08:38:35 AM »
You are, of course, absolutely right Terry but if you want to travel "coast to coast" a bicycle is perhaps not the best form of transport.  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 10:06:03 AM »
YEA but the bike SURE beats walking or just staying at home (;-) LOLOLOLOLOL

(;-) TP

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty