Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 12:39:10 AM

Author Topic: Missed steps and motor settings  (Read 2779 times)

Offline SMA

•  68 68
    • View Profile
Missed steps and motor settings
« on: June 27, 2011, 01:20:56 AM »
Hey Guys,

I am looking through archieved posts and google searches as well.  I am learning lots about steppers and how they operate but was thinking that maybe there is something simple with the motor configs that is causing mixed steps.  Mostly wondering if anyone thinks there is something unusual about my settings.

The problem is that Z is missing steps.  I am about 3mm out over a 6' surfboard.  I have included screen shots of the motor settings as well as the code that i am running.  What is really strange is that there is a bottom file and top file to these boards and the bottom turns out perfect while the top is losing steps and cutting a couple of mm'\s deeper on one side of the surfboard than the other

Stefan

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Missed steps and motor settings
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 06:15:48 AM »
You have a lot of small two axis moves. I will assume that the mechanical accuracy of the machine is adequate for what you want to do.
To check the Z, you  may want to write a small subroutine with the equivilant amount of Z moves and see overall how well it does the movements.
You need a adequate controller which can drive the motors such that acceleration and velocity desired can be done. So lower the accel and velocity
and see what happens.

It is very difficult to find where you are skipping when doing profile work since you can have missed steps, never hear it, and can't replicate it.
Just make sure that all the usual stuff is not the culprit first.

RICH

Re: Missed steps and motor settings
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:35:09 AM »
The only thing that stares at me with out comparing the two files is the feed rate at some points is 13000. Your machine may not be able to do it and in CV mode it may not have the speed to make it.