Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:38:26 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 running a Shark Pro Plus  (Read 5144 times)

Offline Don C

•  25 25
    • View Profile
Mach3 running a Shark Pro Plus
« on: June 25, 2011, 06:25:26 PM »
I'm trying to get a Shark pro plus running on Mach3 for a friend but haven't had any luck. I have download and installed the firmware update and the ncpod plugin but Mach does nothing. DRO don't even move. Is there a XML file or something else I'm missing.
Thanks
Don Clifton

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 running a Shark Pro Plus
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 01:47:47 AM »
Hi Don,

May be an idea to post this on the CNC Shark forum as well  http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewforum.php?f=2

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Don C

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 08:46:14 AM »
Didn't find anything of interest on their forum. was hoping that someone here could help.
 Don Clifton
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 02:41:39 PM »
Don,

It is possible to do but the instructions on how to do it are very vague and it seems like a taboo or something when you ask about it. There are many unanswered posts in cyber world asking the same question. I can try to help you get it working but you will probably end up in the same place as I did. One important thing they don't tell you is you will need to uninstall the Shark panel and drivers (WinUSB) for it to work.

I had it sort of working on my Shark Pro (not plus), unreliably, at one point but gave up on the NCpod and just connected the Xylotex directly to the parallel port. You can use the inputs and outputs (10-13,15 and 14,16,17) though the Xylotex terminal block. That was a big improvement and allowed me to run Mach3 and run the motors at a higher step multiplier (Xylotex is 8x max). When my Xylotex board stopped working (my fault I think) I got a smooth stepper and a Gecko G540. It's worlds apart between the Shark basic setup and Mach3 with a Smooth Stepper! The G540 is also a big improvement over the Xylotex.

I have now rewired everything with shielded cables, added limit/home switches, Zero Plate, spindle speed board and an MPG coming soon. I'm a happy camper now...well worth the upgrades and when it's time to upgrade the machine, the controller should run a 4x4 just fine as it is, or change out the drives and run just about anything.

TJ

Offline Don C

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »
Thanks for the reply. The controller my friend has is the ncpod with gecko 250's. The gecko 250 are mounted to the ncpod board. We are going to replace the ncpod with a gecko 540. Looks like the shark has little or no support which is a shame.
 Thanks again for the help
    Donald Clifton