Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:30:10 AM

Author Topic: New Win7 install not connecting  (Read 12125 times)

New Win7 install not connecting
« on: June 23, 2011, 05:28:32 PM »
Hello All:

I just re-installed my dspmc controller and Mach3 on a new Win7 system. Previous install was on an XP system and all was working fine. This install is the exact same type of computer, but a new one that has a comm port so I can use my "Cubloc" plc.

For some reason, the Ethernet connection is not seen. I am sure it is some simple setup process. Win7 is quite a bit different from XP, and has some different terminology.

I am not familiar with the nuances of Win7, and must be blocking the conn with the Ethernet.

Advise?

Thanks,
John
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 01:16:25 PM by Vital System Support »
Re: New Win7 install not connecting
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 07:35:30 AM »
Works great on win 7 with 2 different computers.
Make sure that the ip address of the computer is set correctly. The correct adress of the computer is in the owners manual.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 02:20:20 PM »
Hello Mike:
I did set up the IP address (198.168.0.10) as in XP, but no luck. Also, the screen shows "Unidentified Network".

Momentarily disconnecting the Ethernet cable shows the blue icon circle "ON" for about 30 seconds before going off, indicating no connection.

Also, downloaded all the Win7 updates, but no change.

Re-installed XP, and will get another computer to benchtest with Win7 again. It also could be a driver problem, or the port. I used "Driver Dectective" with my original XP installation with success.

After reading many comments regarding failed Ethernet connections, I looked at the "Newegg Computer" site for PCI boards. Many reviewers of PCI Ethernet boards had similar frustrations with factory motherboards; installing a new PCI port, no more disconnects.

Thanks for now. I will post my progress next week.

Regards,
John

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 07:38:49 AM »
If you are going directly from the Ethernet port on the computer to the port on the DSPMC then you may need a cross over cable. Some ports have an auto detect feature and some do not. it is called MDI MDI/X or something like that. It can tell if it needs to cross the electrical signals or not. If you don't have a crossover cable you can use a switch for testing. I always go direct from computer to the DSPMC with the proper cable just to be safe.

Windows & always says it is an unidentified network on my machines.

HTH,
Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 08:30:13 AM »
I also had problems with ethernet connection to computer. I was using crossover cable but still wasn't working. Problem was ethernet connection directly to motherboard. Then I bought new separate ethernet card and it worked.

Peter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 02:28:36 PM »
Thanks for more input:

<Mike>
I did use a Crossover cable. As I said, the XP setup has been working fine. The only initial problems I had when setting up the machine several months ago, was my encoders were not showing a full 5v. at initial start-up. I found the problem after much searching. My dspmc controller,  I/O boards, + 24v ps, and 5v ps, are in a rack mount chassis. All the machine cabling to the controller chassis, is DB9 connectors and shielded cable at the rear of the chassis. The office XP computer would connect immediately to the Ethernet when I was testing the controller chassis in my office. When it was in the Mill, and all the cables connected, the Ethernet icon showed “no cable connection.” By trial and error, I eventually  tested the voltage on the encoder inputs, and discovered that at start-up, the voltage was only 3.2 volts at the encoder terminal.  If I disconnected all the encoder plugs, the Ethernet would connect immediately. If I then re-connected the encoders while the Ethernet icon was showing good, I could then start Mach3, and the machine would work OK. Once the machine was shut off, and then restarted, the “Ethernet cable not connected” problem returned. My fix was to run separate +5v/GND wires to each encoder board (the J2, J3) connection to a second Molex 5v/GND connector in the chassis to the 5v. power supply. Previously, the source of the 5v signal originated at the 7535 board 5v. logic terminals, but this is not sufficient at startup, as I discovered.
---

<Peter 81>
I looked on the Newegg site for PCI Ethernet boards, and read the reviews. The majority of reviewers had changed the motherboard Ethernet connection to a PCI board Ethernet connection to solve problems.

I did a re-install of XP on the computer since my first post.  I also used “Driver Dectective” to update all the drivers it could find, which included the Ethernet connection.  However, before I did the XP install, I used “Wipe Drive” to totally erase the HD, and then did a full XP install. The HD is brand new, as is the computer.  The same computer is now working fine, and the Ethernet connection is immediate. The Mach3 program and dspmc works smooth as silk.

It would appear now, the physical Ethernet port could not be cause of the problem I was having. Before re-installing XP, and getting
everything working again, the port was definitely suspect.

When doing the Win7 install, I did not use “Driver Dectective” for getting the latest drivers.  That is now, the major suspect to Win7 not working properly with the Ethernet connection.

Thanks very much, Mike and Peter. It is great to have feedback on these kind of endeavors. Sometimes, working alone on a problem, we overlook the simple answer. Other input really helps.

Regards for now,
John M

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 04:46:07 PM »
try connecting to a switch with builtin DHCP server (eg linksys wrt54g).  so on the switch, you will have the PC and DSPMC hooked up.   both PC and DSPMC will get automatic IP address from the server.

also, in the windows firewall, try adding c:\mach3\mach3.exe in the allowed inbound and outbound rules.

can you access the dspmc via the Upgrade Tool search button?

regrads,
Rufi
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 05:22:40 PM »
Hello Rufi:

At this time, the computer no longer has Win7 installed. However, I am going to install Win7 on a second computer, and have another try getting all the parts talking. I will also incorporate your suggestions. The second computer install will be in a week or two, and I will post all the details. At this time, I suspect drivers were the problem, however the firewall could also been working to defeat the Ethernet without the proper inbound/outbound rules set.

It seems Win7 is quite a bit different from XP in many respects.

As Mike posted, he has dspmc working on two computers with Win7.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

John M.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 10:49:31 PM »
win 7     32 bit or 64 bit ????

Different drivers for each OS and some computers don't have both working well. Took me a long time to get a three boot up system to work (win 7 ultimate 32 & 64bit and XP SP3 on a 500GB sata drive with 3 partitions)
Never give up. :-)
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 12:54:28 AM »
<Ya-Nvr-No>
I think "Driver Dectective" analyzes the system, and gets the correct driver. It has a page showing all the specs of my computer. My install is 32 bit. The box had (2) CD's, 32 and 64 bit. I understand Mach3 only runs on 32 bit Windows. My version is Win7 Pro, which I chose to take advantage of the Virtual XP, in order to run an older BobCad, v.17. Also, I like the idea of backing up the HD, to a portable USB HD. Apparently, it makes an image of the HD. Very simple to plug it in, click backup, and walk away for 20 min.

The "Driver Detective" website has something called the "Cloud." It will look at all the drivers on your system (when everything is working OK of course), and create a CD with everything on it. Sounds pretty slick.

Took me a long time to get a three boot up system to work

The operative word is "Time!"  ???

However, it is a great feeling when it all finally works!  ;D