Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:51:17 AM

Author Topic: How to- USB powered LCD display of DRO`s  (Read 73177 times)

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
Re: How to- USB powered LCD display of DRO`s
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2011, 07:45:32 PM »
The version I was refering to was 3.039.

Thanks,
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2011, 09:17:28 PM »
Hi Ian here is about all I can find on the subject with Mach. It was something Art whipped up for himself to use. I don't think it ever got truely finished though.

(;-) TP

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
Nice find Terry - had a quick play and it seems to work just fine as (not) advertised. It would be interesting to see if it is lean enough to get around Dave's problem. That said I'm still having a side bet on it being the pre-threaded CB version that's the main prob with 3.039.

Ian

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2011, 02:15:50 PM »
Yes I agree on Daves version it was around the time that VB multi threading was added in. I think his version is single threaded by the way it acts under CB load. That would explain a LOT.

Even on other versions I think the EDS will be better than sendserial.As I understand it it waits in the background for the end of line responce to receive and is always ready to send.

IF coupled to a brain it may reduce the total CB load to do the LCD updates.

It can ALSO run  with serial Modbus running.  

It should really HELP the older machines that had a serial based tool changer and may also be very helpfull to design a NEW serial based tool changer ??????

Just a thought(;-) TP
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 02:19:29 PM by BR549 »

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2011, 03:32:01 PM »
Just wanted to update all of you that helped (or that were interested), I finally ended up upgrading to V3.042.020 and the display works perfectly.

I normally did not use macropumps until using this display. Is it normal for Mach to slow down just a tiny bit when running macropumps?

What are some of the reasons you use macropumps?

Thanks as always-
Dave

Dave->    ;)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2011, 05:58:02 PM »
The Macro pump can be used as a monitor to monitor things and then do other things based on events. It runs as a continous loop so it is always on duty. Min update set at 10hzs. You have access to most Mach functions . The main flaw is no threading control and slow updates.

IT can be a very powerfull tool.

The brains WERE to improve the speed of the macropump by 100 fold and create a Ladder like logic  BUT as it turned out the update speed is the same basic speed as the macropump10hz and nowhere near as flexable as the original MP. Ladder type logic does fit some functions better though.

In a nut shell, (;-) TP

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 06:07:13 PM by BR549 »

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
Thank you, Terry, very interesting know-  :)

As always, I appreciate your knowledge and time-
Dave

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2011, 08:01:45 PM »
I am glad people are getting some use from this idea but I would like to add something that I just found out. I first started this quest to have a display at the machine for when I used my pendant and and could not see the Mach screen, as it turned out when I try to use my Shuttle Pro with the display they do not play nice together. I have not tried it with any other pendant yet but my plans to use it with the Shuttle, sort of like a ghetto version of the ShuttleRU is not working out. I did buy a ShuttleRU and like it a lot but I could not resist the urge to tinker. If I could program a plug-in I am sure it would but that is way over my head. I hope someone smarter than me with continue the effort.

;D
"Gravity, its not just a good idea its the law"

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
What's not working with your Shuttle with the display? I used mine today and it worked just fine, macros and all. Not that you have me worried again!  :D

Are you using Scott Sheaffers Shuttle Pro plugin with the 10 macros available?

Dave
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 08:50:35 PM by budman68 »

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2011, 09:39:40 AM »
After looking into it a little deeper I discovered I had the wrong shuttle checked in the plugin but that did not help. When I have them both plugged in at the same time neither one will work, one at a time and its fine. now I am doing this on my test computer which is running windows 7 and I believe there is a conflict somewhere with the ports but have not had the time to explore it. Now that I have the ShuttleRU this has been on the back burner. I am using the latest plugin but what are the 10 macros you are talking about? Also I see in the config there are two custom macro boxes but there are no instructions on how to set it up and use it. Do you know how?

What's not working with your Shuttle with the display? I used mine today and it worked just fine, macros and all. Not that you have me worried again!  :D

Are you using Scott Sheaffers Shuttle Pro plugin with the 10 macros available?

Dave
"Gravity, its not just a good idea its the law"