Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:02:32 PM

Author Topic: How to- USB powered LCD display of DRO`s  (Read 73192 times)

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
Re: How to- USB powered LCD display of DRO`s
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2011, 12:40:41 PM »
Sorry, no, that's the front side bus, it's a 2.8Ghz
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2011, 07:44:47 AM »
IAN, What about IF we try to send the data stream out throught the Serial port using the serial modbus ?

I know Mach does not have a problem with that.
You'd need a modbus slave in there between Mach's "master" and the LCD hardware. I suppose we could write a "thin" modbus slave to run on the Mach machine and connect Mach to it via a virtual null modem and then connect the slaves output to the real serial port. Seems a bit overkill though.

Also Henrik has developed a proper serial port useage with mach through an outside DLL. It allows you OPEN the port and then send recieve, then close the port when done.
This sounds more like it - where is it?

I don't have the LCD display here so I can't help develope any solutions in real time. (;-(
If you have a spare PC and a null modem cable then you could send your data to hyperterm. Or again you could use hyperterm with a virtual null modem. A good (free) one that I use is http://com0com.sourceforge.net/

Ian
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 01:51:58 PM by stirling »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2011, 04:49:29 PM »
HIYA IAN, Here is the link to Henrik's page.

http://henriksplace.se/cnc/cnc_mach3_vb_serial.html

(;-) TP

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2011, 04:42:50 AM »
Thanks for the link Terry. Don't think it's going to help us in this particular case though.

Ian

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2011, 08:18:58 PM »
I find it hard to believe that the Routine ties up Daves cpu like it does I have a MUCH slow computer here that runs it fine. I wonder if his computer is a multi core cpu that is just running on the Single core kernal. I have seen that before. all the processes runing on just 1 core section. It was a slow puppy when loaded down.

Some of the major laptops had that problem for a while the Manf mistakenly loaded the single core kernal on the multicore systems.

Just a thought(;-) TP

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2011, 06:17:41 AM »
No sir, pentium 4 is only single core. It's definitely the Mach 3 version that is making the difference, as the macros run perfectly when using the latest lockdown. I really don't think it's the PC at all.

Thanks again,
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2011, 09:46:28 AM »
OK i see you are on one of those in between versions(;-) I know it worked on the earlier versions and the lockdown and the lastest developement version. I never tried the V.039.

(;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2011, 09:48:52 AM »
IAN Have you evr played with the EVENT driven serial funtion?? I think it may allow one to hold the serial port open ?? Not much info on the subject.

(;-) TP

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2011, 01:01:48 PM »
OK i see you are on one of those in between versions(;-) I know it worked on the earlier versions and the lockdown and the lastest developement version. I never tried the V.039.

Can we just confirm - are we talking 3.042.039 (April 8 2010) OR are we talking 3.039 (March 22 2008)?

If it's the latter then the change log might give us some clues. 3.039 was released on March 22 2008 but a few months later ...
Nov 12/2008
Release 3.042.018 This is the first release of the 3.042.********* series
-- Many small bug fxes
-- Pause LED fixed
-- VB was changed to be Multi threading
-- Threading fixed for lathe
-- Tangential lookahead for preping the head for the next cut improved

IAN Have you evr played with the EVENT driven serial funtion??

In other languages - yes a lot - can you point out which particular implementation you mean Terry please?

I think it may allow one to hold the serial port open ?? Not much info on the subject.

You may be right Terry but I'd be surprised if you can do what you suggest because one way or another you have to pass some sort of handle to the open port and have that handle remain alive over invocations and that's something you just can't do with Mach's CB (AFAIK). Hence us using the kludge of passing real numbers via gcode vars, - but sadly handles are not reals etc. etc.

Ian

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2011, 04:04:23 PM »
Hi Ian, The event driven serial is a special Mach function that uses the CB commands SendFIFO() and GetFIFOEntry(). It seems that the function stays active as long as the thread is alive.

You cannot use sendserial with the function though. Just the 2 mentioned ones.

People have used it to do serial tool changer setups. But there is VERY little info on the subject. Just a splash here and there.

Do  a search here on Event Driven Serial there are about 5-6 results and a couple from Art.

(;-) TP