Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 04:30:57 AM

Author Topic: RhinoCam (visual mill) spiral / helical output problem  (Read 4807 times)

RhinoCam (visual mill) spiral / helical output problem
« on: June 16, 2011, 11:02:58 AM »
I am using Rhinocam to create gcode for my parts. i was having a problem with hole pocketing just making random squiggly lines. as it turns out the problem was i was trying to output helix and spirals as helix and spirals. for some reason mach did not like this and was basically ignoring the lines describing the these paths so i changed the parameter to outputs spirals and helix as linear path. this fixed the problem and milled pockets are coming out correctly. but i finally figured out how to correctly program a thread mill in rhino but when i run the part the threads dont look very good and are rather rough faceted almost  ::) i am willing to bet this is because i am outputting helix paths as linear segments. but if i output helix as helix mach does not understand. or rather rhino is not writing it in a way mach can understand (you get my point). so does anybody know what settings in either rhino or mach i have to change to get these programs to play nice together.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: RhinoCam (visual mill) spiral / helical output problem
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 02:00:12 PM »
MACH Understands a helix BUT not a spiral.  Mach can do GREAT threadmilling using helix and can do good threadmilling with line segments IF you have enough line segments per thread to make it look good.

Can you turn on arcs in helix and leave spirals to lines?

Normally the POST processor does the Gcode writting. What Post are you using. A Mach specific POST should know not to produce spirals.

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:03:39 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 06:43:08 PM »
yes i can turn on helix with out spirals and yes i am using the Mach 3 Inch profile that came with rhino. Ill give that a try and see how it comes out thanks for the help
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 07:07:24 PM »
just tried it outside of the part (good idea) it would have destroyed the bit all helical motions were ignored

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 02:25:33 AM »
Could you post the section of code that it ignored.I do thread milling all the time and use helix with arcs without a problem.

(;-) TP