Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:33:42 PM

Author Topic: Beaver nc 5 atc  (Read 6693 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Beaver nc 5 atc
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 04:51:28 PM »
The intensifier that was originally fitted was a multi stage type and it took 4 or 5 cycles to release the drawbar, took about 3 or more seconds.  I got a single stage one from a friend and it releases the drawbar instantly :)

The ballnuts have a spacer between the two halves, you could split them and grind the spacer I suppose. I am more inclined to think the bearings will be the culprits though, certainly was on mine.

I totally rewired my machine, the AC servo drives I use connect direct to the mains, single phase for axis and three phase for spindle.

Laptops can work ok, some do some dont but older ones seem to have a better chance. Of course that is when using the parallel port, when using an external controller such as the SmoothStepper then most l;aptops would be fine.
I use a Via Pico motherboard in my machines, they are only 100mm x 72mm :)

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 04:58:41 PM »
Oh meant to say, the head on yours looks standard enough at the front end and it seems its been chopped a bit at the back and added to.
Hood
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 05:10:45 PM »
Yea it's a bit of a frankenstein, the x and y servo mounts are very retro looking in comparison to the smooth enclosures on your mill,
the x servo sticks out about 8" out front of the table.

The intensifier looks like what you describe.

I thought the same about the ballscrews, the hurco had .2mm backlash on the x and it turned out to be play in the taper bearing, got it down to .02

did your mill originally have linear scales and tachs?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 05:27:43 PM »
It originally had tachs but encoders on motors. I was going to use the original drives but they whistled at a frequency that annoyed me so I  had to get rid of them. Talked to a service guy and he said that some people heard it others didnt, sadly I did. He also said there was a mod that could be done to quieten them but when I looked mine had been done already so what the hell they would have been like without the mod I hate to imagine.

Attached a pic of the original intensifier, also a pic of the autolube on the left of the screenshot.
Hood
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 06:06:34 PM »
Yea I remember the hurco's westamp drives, jesus it was like an old turbo spinning-up when they energised.
Yea I reckon the intensifier is what I have in the cabinet, how is it controlled, does it recieve a signal and go through a relay loop to energise, de-energise, energise, etc or has it a flip flop valve or something?

Cheers.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 06:15:50 PM »
Just need to control the air solenoid from 24v, on and the intensifier will unclamp, air off and it will clamp.
Hood

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 10:17:38 PM »
Sounds like a perfect job for a KFLOP conversion  I "think" it can use the tachs(maybe just resolvers) AND the old drives as well. Plus it has plenty of I/O.

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:20:30 PM by BR549 »