Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:58:32 AM

Author Topic: Spindle RPM lock error while threading  (Read 12438 times)

Spindle RPM lock error while threading
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:22:50 AM »
I am setting up a new machine and am stuck on threading using the thread wizard.  I can disable spindle feedback and it runs the code just fine.  If I enable spindle feedback it gets to the point of locking spindle rpm and stalls with a non-numerical number locked(see attached screenshot).  I am picking up a index pulse and mach 3 sees rpm.  Can someone guide me in the right direction?

Thanks
Jacob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle RPM lock error while threading
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 04:13:42 AM »
The diagnostics should not be used now, it was meant for earlier versions whilst Art was trying to figure out where problem were. Disable the plugin and see if it works.
The things you need for threading are
Use Index input(Not Timing)
Take the tick out of disable Spindle relays, even if your spindle is totally manually controlled
Use spindle feedback in sync mode
Have Index debounce low, I always have 0 but some need a small amount
Make sure your spindle pulley setup is correct  if controlling from Mach as you need the spindle speed set to Max there for the gear you are using (if any)
Call the spindle from Code, MDI   by using a M3 or M4

Hood
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 12:16:05 PM »
Ok, I have disabled the diagnostics with no success.  I do have an index input (oops, timing is stuck in my head from ignitions), mach 3 has full spindle control and I am in sync mode.  My debounce interval is set at 120 and index debounce is set at 75.  I have tried setting the debounce values from 0-200 with no luck.  I am calling the spindle speed from MDI before I run the code.  Anything else I should check or try?

Thanks again!
Jacob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 12:53:35 PM »
Can you attach your xml please and I will see if I can find a problem.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 02:01:22 PM »
XML attached.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 02:03:26 PM by axion68 »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
Seems to be working fine here when I simulate the index pulse. What is the code that you are using? Could you be trying to move faster than your Z axis is capable of ?
Hood
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 04:04:50 PM »
G0 G40 G18 G80 G50 G90
T101M6
G00  X1.66
G00 Z0
G00 X1.66
M03 S500
G76 X1.6 Z-0.5 Q0 P0.05 J0.005 L45 H0.01 I29 C0 B0.005 T0
M9
M5
M30

That was from the threading wizard.  Just trying to see it in action.  The only thing I have done was remove "G00 G53 X0 Z0" from the 2nd line because I don't have any switches.  What is weird is the code works when I disable spindle feedback.  The Z axis should move at that speed.  I have also turned the rpm way down just to see if that was the case and no dice.  The spindle turns on and it just hangs after that.

Thanks again
Jacob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 04:09:41 PM »
When the sync is disabled it will work fine as it is not looking for the index, it is basically in simulation mode.

Dont know why its not working for you unless your index pulse is not stable enough, however the diagnostics above looked OK, even though they should not be used with later drivers.
It is the Index Debounce that p[ertains to the Index pulse so set that to zero and see if your RPM readings are stable.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 06:42:47 PM »
What are you using to get the index pulse? ie; slotted disc....a reed switch by any chance?
What version of Mach?
See page 9 of Threading on the Lathe-Mach3 Turn and do the triggering test.

Always use the "Calc number of passes" in the wizard as that will warn you if you are exceeding you max velocity for a given spindle rpm for the thread.

RICH
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 12:16:22 AM »
I tried the index debounce at 0 with no luck. Anything after 375 and my rpm reads wrong. I have tried several settings between 0 and 375.

I am getting an index pulse from a magnetic pickup and have done the triggering test.

I am using the latest stable version of mach 3.

Does anyone know if the current version of Mach 3 will show a locked rpm in the diagnostic information plugin even though it might not be compatible anymore? I think that has something to do with my problem as it does not lock on a number (see attached pic in first post).

Thanks again