Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:27:38 PM

Author Topic: CAD/CAM for Hobby Level Bench Mill  (Read 7874 times)

Offline pgh3

•  28 28
    • View Profile
CAD/CAM for Hobby Level Bench Mill
« on: June 08, 2011, 05:04:45 PM »
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere; the forum is becoming quite extensive!

I'm running a small gantry type bench mill (300mm x 400mm) and using Mach3 on a dedicated XP computer. My goal is to buy software that allows 2D vector machining of wood or plastic.
I have bought BMP2NC so I can raster cut from black and white drawings, and it works well, but the time taken to cut away lots of open space at small increments (0.02mm) is getting excessive; ie, up to 9 hours!

Can I ask this forum what is the opinion of those with experience as to the most appropriate software to buy without breaking the bank?

I was about to purchase a licence from Dolphin but changed my mind when I found out their software is far too conditional to be practical - I can't have my computer connected to the internet whilst machining just to satisfy their paranoia...

I'm looking at Vectric Cut2D as a possibility, but would like to read about others' experience first....

Thanks,  Peter

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: CAD/CAM for Hobby Level Bench Mill
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 06:04:39 PM »
Cut 2D is a very good package, but keep in mind you'll also need a CAD or drawing program as well, as Cut2D has very limited drawing tools. This will be the case with other options in this price range. But there are several good free CAD and drawing packages available.

Other options similar to Cut 2D would be CAMBAM and SheetCAM.

One nice thing about Cut2D is that should you decide to upgrade to V-Carve Pro down the road, you'll receive nearly full credit for what you payed for Cut2D.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline pgh3

•  28 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 09:02:29 PM »
Thanks for your reply, ger21.

Yes, I've read that the drawing capabilities of Cut2D are somewhat limited. I have TurboCAD, SmartDraw and CorelDraw registered on one of my other computers: I think would that allow me to produce DXF files suitable for Cut2D.

But I will check out the applications you've already mentioned.

Peter

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 05:49:19 AM »
Peter,

If you download the trial version of Cut2D you will soon get the feel of it and see just how quick it is to learn. It does not try to do lots of other functions, it just sticks with what it does well. There have been a few negatives as it uses 'ramp plunge' rather than 'lead-in / lead-out' but I never found this to be a problem, in fact it can be an advantage when cutting nested parts from a sheet where space is tight.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline pgh3

•  28 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 06:19:52 AM »
Thanks, Tweakie, I will do that and give it and SheetCAM a run for the same project. I'll give feedback to let you know what transpires - maybe helpful for others.

The best thing I did after setting up my CNC Mill was to join this forum! Great responses, very helpful and friendly advice; a great fraternity.

Thanks ger21 and Tweakie.CNC

Peter

Offline pgh3

•  28 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 04:38:47 PM »
Well, I have bought Vectric's Cut2D and find it the easiest to work while allowing the most flexibility. Of the other two, one was in still in beta (after a very long time) and the other was not intuitive in its learning and not as flexible as Vectric's.
One of the best features is that I can fiddle with something in CorelDraw, export it as an EPS file and import it straight away as a vector sketch in Cut2D. After a selection of size, cutting tool setup and profile machining, the output is Mach3 ready; very snappy!

I think I have found a good match between software, machine and bankbook.

Peter

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 01:13:18 AM »
Hi Peter,

Good to hear that you are on your way.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline pgh3

•  28 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 01:43:37 AM »
Thanks for your support Tweakie. And to ger21 also. I would be lost without this help from guys like you, along with this forum.

Peter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 02:57:30 PM »
Dolphin CAD CAM is a pretty nice package as well.