Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:08:49 PM

Author Topic: y axis stalled? during cutting - please help  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Thys

•  30 30
    • View Profile
y axis stalled? during cutting - please help
« on: June 07, 2011, 03:15:18 AM »
Morning all, please would you assist with some advice is possible

During a "profile" operation (using Mach 3 and cambam to produce the G code) cutting out a cheese board for a friend, it seems that my y axis stalled during cutting causing the router to turn in off the path which it was following resulting in a deep cut into my material piece. It is wierd in that it happend on the third pass going past the same spot twice already without an issue.

Some additional information is that I was cutting at 500 mm/min with a Metric 8 treaded rod with a pitch of 1.25mm, and at 4mm deep cuts per pass with a 6mm double fluted router cutter. I didn't feel that the router was under extraordinarily high load, or that the lead screw was dirty possibly causing the lead screw to exceed max torque and jam. I was wondering what the max operational rpm of the Keling KL23H286-508B stepper motor is as it was running at about 400rpm to give me a 500mm/min linear travel. This may be a little high, but I cant see the specs for this motor on the keling site.

There is a lot of detail in here so I understand if it's a bit of an issue to help, but if there some help out there, I would appreciate it.
ta
Thys

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: y axis stalled? during cutting - please help
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 05:37:42 AM »
Hi Thys,

This a wild guess but if, on the last pass, you are machining right through into a spoil board which is something like MDF then the tool tip (which is now in a pocket) can get clogged with the dust and may require extra torque to cut properly and thus stall the axis.

As I say, just a guess.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Thys

•  30 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 05:40:59 AM »
Hi Tweakie, you could be right, how would I fix that?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 05:54:16 AM »
Thys,

I started using a bit of scrap plywood as the spoil board but you have to make sure of the final pass depth so that the cutter doesn't go down into the glue layer.

Tweakie.
PEACE