Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:47:08 PM

Author Topic: axis calibration problem  (Read 5527 times)

axis calibration problem
« on: May 31, 2011, 05:59:03 PM »
Don't know if anyone has had this problem. Searched the forum didn't find anything. My problem is with my X axis I calibrated it. It's good in the positive direction but in the negative direction it's out by about 1/2" more negative. If anyone can help thank you.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: axis calibration problem
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 08:27:50 PM »
Suggest you check that all the mechanical stuff is right, ie; that a pulley is not slipping or something is loose.
RICH
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 09:05:41 PM »
I have checked all the mechanical stuff everything is tight. It cuts small parts very well. It only happens on larger cuts. I'm using threaded rods & nuts.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 11:17:23 AM »
Could it be that there is some tightness or binding in the threaded rods which is greater in one direction than the other ?

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:19:34 PM by RICH »
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 07:19:12 PM »
Even a plain threaded rod with nuts won't have 1/2" backlash.................something is loose.
RICH
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 07:47:30 PM »
I just re-calibrated the X axis again. Not sure if the size of bit I'm using would make a difference, using a .25. I'm measuring from the center of the bit it seems like I'm off now by 1/8". I'm moving 8" x+ back to zero it's good center to center of bit. I've marked a board with  an 8" mark. Going in the negative direction it lands on the outside edge not the center off bit, so I got an extra 1/8" .

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 10:48:11 PM »
May I suggest you use Mach's calibration feature which is available via F6 or the Settings Tab in ach Mill.
RICH

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 02:14:09 AM »
Even a plain threaded rod with nuts won't have 1/2" backlash.................something is loose.
RICH

Rich,

You have to think outside the box.
An axis which is tight in one direction only can loose steps in that direction and then be 1/2" out when it returns, nothing needs to be loose.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 06:39:01 AM »
Tweakie,
The problem is that one can't hear what the motors sound like or have a visual on the movement. Figure that if it can move in one direction
without binding and skipping steps one would assume it can reverse. At 1/2" it's not loosing steps it is "skipping"...play on words but a big difference between the two.
If the steps per unit are correct, a reasonable velocity & acceleration along with proper pulse duration, then after a move the backlash would be rather consistant and thus any
loss in position greater than the backlash becomes a mechanical issue............at least in general. Of course other assumptions are made in the above ........ you know how it goes. ;)
RICH  
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 07:07:26 PM »
I found my problem. It wasn't a mechanical or mach setup problem. It was a dumb ass human error. I put my center point on the peace I was cutting in the wrong place in relation to my model's center point. OK call me a dumb ass. Plus it wasn't a 100% calibrated. It's all good now.

Thanks for all your help