Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:52:46 AM

Author Topic: Progam stopping in mid-run  (Read 6196 times)

Progam stopping in mid-run
« on: November 30, 2006, 12:20:52 PM »
We are having a problem with programs stopping during a run. Thr steppers just stop and the RESET button (on the Mach2 screen) starts flashing
and the program and the router stops. On the screen we can click on the RESET button and click on CYCLE START and the program runs from that point. After 30/50 seconds the same thing repeats. This occurs on other programs likewise. We have checked the cables and voltages and are normal per the trouble shooting guide. This acts just as we stopped the machine by clicking the RESET button or PAUSE and then continued on clicking the flashing RESET button and clicking on the CYCLE START. We can monitor the pins, etc with a scope or line signal test but do not know what to look for. Any comment or suggestions will be greatly appreciated..TNX Technicrdd & TNX--We are running Mach2 with G-code from BobCad/BobCam, 3 mhz processor, windows XP. controller is xylotex 3 axis,

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Progam stopping in mid-run
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 12:23:02 PM »
It could be viabration tripping a switch or a bad joint

Without engineers the world stops

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 12:46:33 PM »
You could try disabling your limits one at the time to narrow it down. You could be picking up noise, making a contact when it shouldn't, loosing contact when you shouldn't, etc. If you are using prox. switches, a chip could be getting on one or passing by close enough to set the fault. There is no telling. You can check voltage on your limits, e-stops and such. If you check one and get a good reading, wiggle the wires going to and from it while watching the meter. Sometimes this will expose the hidden thorn. Your just going to have to do some trouble shooting. Love your meter. ;D
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 03:13:49 PM »
We have gone thru the switches all removed from action, vibration. wires contacts etc. It is strange that the Reset button on the screen picks up on stopping the program, unless somewhere in the settings something is wrong. The stopping is random during run but occurs from startup to 1/2 min to after stopping it occurs about 30/50 seconds of running.  We are trying to determine if the controller could be at fault or the computer is causing the problem.  the computer is a Celeron 3Ghz, 1 GB ram, running XP. Mach2, from BobCad/Bobcam. technicrdd

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 04:31:56 PM »
What line number is it stopping on, is it the same each time.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 05:05:37 PM »
I don't think your PC is the issue. It's not a lap top is it? If you can't get it to repeat, you may have a noise issue. What do you have your debounce set at. Come to think of it, I don't even know if Mach 2 has a debounce setting. I'm pretty new at all of this. Why haven't you upgraded to Mach 3 yet?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 05:07:37 PM by Chaoticone »

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 08:37:22 AM »
We are running from a desktop latest thinghere, debounce looks like a good check. am looking at the switch inputs with scope and voltmeter. it looks like noise, the switch lines are on a pullup resistor to the limit/home switches, it is 10k from the power suppply/controller voltage. we had removed all the connections from the switches but left the wires running along the machine, they obviously can be picking up noise from the steppers, the big issue is when did the stopping start and what was the setup when it happened, the programmer made the changes while running the machine, I am the machine oversight but not the person running the machine. We also are trying to pin down if the controller is causing the problem as it is still under warranty. PS.. This project is to let this company see what cnc controlled pattern machining is all about. We are considering the next step with purchase of a Thermwood 5x5x12" machine, will lose the Mach2 at that time. cheers & thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 08:49:30 PM »
Has any one had the opportunity to look at the data stream from the computor parallel (db25) port that goes to the controller? I have used a breakout tester (EIA INTERFACE MONITOR) that is used to view with leds the data as it is transmitted in both directions for data terminals and other DTE/DCE fed equipment.  It appears when I look at the data transfer on another computor that it is connected online with a parallel printer the data stream is consistant and the printer prints OK. ( separate computors)   When the machine computor is conected inline with the contolle,r the brearkout tester indictes the data stream is intermittant, including pin 15 which is the estop conection, could this indicate that the parallel port on this computor is not sending data correctly?.... ANy comment well appreciated & TNX.....

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 08:57:20 PM »
Oops, I see you allready have. ;D

EDIT
Referring to PM
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 09:09:31 PM by Chaoticone »

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 09:03:21 PM »
What do mean already have? does the last make any sense re the problem,,,over