Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 09:20:16 AM

Author Topic: steps per won't change from 1000  (Read 3084 times)

steps per won't change from 1000
« on: May 19, 2011, 05:17:35 AM »
HI All, first post.

I've built a router and downloaded Mach3 V3 (demo mode) to test, first on a single axis. I'll get to the system details shortly. The default steps-per-unit were 1000. My setup has 3200 steps-per-inch. Set the motor pins, and the motor turned the screw right away, nice and smooth. Some measurements told me that I was moving about 5/16" when I asked it to move 1", so for fun I changed my steps-per to 6400. Same result, same distance. I can set it to any value from 100 to 10000, and it still seems to send 1000 pulses when I ask it to move 1". When I reboot the PC, restart Mach3, it shows the steps-per setting that I've entered, but still acts like it's set to 1000. Looked through this forum trying to find another instance of this, but didn't find any. Downloaded and installed V2.63 with exactly the same result.

Details:

1/2-10 5-start screw
1/8 microstep on Keling KL-4030 with C10 BOB
so 2TPI * 200 steps/rev * 8 microsteps/step = 3200 pulses/inch

My computer:
Gateway box, AMD athlon 64 dual-core 4200, actually clocked at 2.2 GHz, 1GB RAM, still using integrated graphics while I look for my old graphics card
WIN XP Media Centre, SP3. It's a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit processor, thought this was ok.

So, if anyone has the time to think about this, is this a problem that you've seen before?

The port test shows that the port is under Mach3 control, it jogs back and forth smoothly, returns to exactly the same ZERO position I start at, but it always moves 5/16" for every inch it indicates that it's moved. Of course it moves twice as far if I set it to 1/4 microstep, so it seems like the drive is fine and Mach3 won't change from 1000 steps-per.

Is there an obvious problem with my PC/Processor/OS? It seems to work well with the software aside from this, no crashes, no unpredictable behavior. I know it's not exactly in compliance with Mach's requirements, but it seems fine aside from this one thing. Then again, I'm only running one axis and only with 2 lines of code and the jog functions, so...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
BL
Re: steps per won't change from 1000
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 11:13:36 AM »
Thanks to Andrew at Mach Support for helping me sort this one out. I think it was just a strange glitch, and I may have created it when I installed different versions, but we were able to correct it by using the built in steps-calculator, and it's fine now.
Re: steps per won't change from 1000
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:16:21 PM »
Very odd, I am having the same problem on an A axis set up to move an extruder for a 3d printer. I can set the steps per from 1 to 10000 and it moves the filament exactly the same amount. It's driving me crazy! I'll try the built in calculator. But it would be interesting to know if others have experienced this.

Cheers,
Michael