Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 06:53:32 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 Turn Tool Offset Procedure  (Read 6129 times)

Mach3 Turn Tool Offset Procedure
« on: May 18, 2011, 09:06:54 PM »
Does anyone have a simplified produce for setting the tool offset in Turn? I follow the manual it's helpful but I would like to have something in a simplified version. I'm using a four tool ATC turret. Thanks for the help!
Re: Mach3 Turn Tool Offset Procedure
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 10:58:10 PM »
How repeatible is your homing?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 07:21:57 AM »
Currently I do not have any limit home switches setup. I 'm using the Home without limit switches. I have not checked the repeatability. Thanks for the help!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 09:08:20 PM »
You may want to have a look at Appendix "F" Section 4.1 in the manual for LazyTurn. It can be found in Members Docs.
RICH

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 01:07:55 AM »
You need a REALLY accurate X axis home switch for repeatable and useful tool offset setting. I had a simple micro switch at first, but it wasnt nearly good enough. Changed to a hall type metal detector switch and paid attention to mounting it well and now have offsets that seem to repeat down to 0.001" in diameter at boot up.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 07:10:23 AM »
If you do not have X homing this is what I would do.

Offset a master tool, ex. tool No. 1.

Then offset the other three tools.

Record the differences between the master tool and the other tools.

Next time you turn on the machine (without homing) you need to set the offsets for the master tool by making trial cuts.  Then you just enter the tool offsets for the other three tools, by adding the differences you recorded before with respect to the master tool.  In this way you only need to set the master tool every time you turn on the machine.

The process I just mentioned may be done in other ways, but the process will be fundamentally the same. For example you can move the master tool to 0,0.  Then use Part Zero X and Z and you are set.  It is very important that the other three tools are set correctly with respect to the master tool so you do not have to mess with them every time you turn on the machine.

If you had accurate homing you would do this process just the first time, so its worth the effort to do install home switches.