Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:16:07 AM

Author Topic: PMDX and extra parallel port?  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Jackal

•  169 169
    • View Profile
PMDX and extra parallel port?
« on: May 14, 2011, 10:45:40 AM »
I bought a PMDX  126 board. After looking at the  manual on it,  it says you can run it to (2) parallel ports for the extra I/O 's. Or you can run it in expanded mode and get the extra I/O's through one port.

I want to set it up  so  extras can be added later as needed. It would be aggravating to get it running and tuned, then need to add some items, and have to start over.

My second parallel port is the one Simpson recommended here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166007

It isn't installed, yet.

Another problem is my pendant:

http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=162

It connects through a 2nd parallel port, using the c22 card:

http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=159

Now does this mean I need (3) parallel ports????? :o

Is that even possible or just crazy?

Maybe I'm making this too complicated. I don't want machine looking like the space shuttle wiring.

Could I use the (2) parallel ports. One for the pendant, and the other for the PMDX 126 board ( running it in the expanded mode)?

This something that needs to be figured out now before the B_O_B  in mounted.

Maybe it is intimidating because I'm a newbie at this. That PMDX board is nice, but the instructions are  a little intimidating to me. The more you read it the more sense it makes.

I have the Gecko booklet next to me,  and checking where it all goes.

Thanks a lot,

Let me know if this is an overcomplicated mess, or something needs to be changed   before I get too far along.

JAckal
Everything is bio-degradable if you run over it enough with a lawnmower.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: PMDX and extra parallel port?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 03:11:58 PM »
I have not really read the PMDX manual so not really sure but sounds like you will want to just have one port connected to PMDX and use the extended features if required. The  hand pendant will go to your other port I think, again not looked at the manual for it but sounds like the way it would go.
One thing I am sure of ;D You can only have two parallel ports with Mach.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 05:04:23 PM »
I just bought a 126 as well and was told that it can multiplex I/O on the pins not used by the drives, but that my plan was kind of pushing the limits.  Therefore I bought the 108 daughter card for 8 expanded inputs on the second PP, thus allowing me enough inputs for my pendant. 

Offline Jackal

•  169 169
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 06:02:33 PM »
Thanks Guys.

Hood, that is good to know about the  parallel ports.  I kinda figured that because a search didn't show anyone running 3 ports. ;)

Biermann,

What kind of pendant are you using?

Mine pretty much has to use the parallel port DB25 connector.There is a c22 board that goes between the two.

Are you going to run the 126 board in expanded mode?

From looking at the manual, you have to set it just right or the  test mode, charge pump, & relays won't operate correctly.

Steve Stalling's has a very thorough manual with his boards. They are a little intimidating, but  they have all the info you could imagine, and more.

He doesn't leave any room for errors of interpretation. If you re-read them a few times, along with your drive booklet, it starts to make sense.

There is a MACH 3  brain that runs with the 126 for expanded mode. It is on the PMDX website.

That along with the Spindle controller board ( also PMDX 107) it looks a little scary.  >:D

Thanks for all of the information.

Keep it coming.

JAckal
Everything is bio-degradable if you run over it enough with a lawnmower.