Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:10:07 AM

Author Topic: Going Off on One (again).  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Going Off on One (again).
« on: May 11, 2011, 01:12:35 PM »
Going off on one.

Although we have all, probably, used pirate software at some time or another (and I must hold my hand up to using a time limited trial beyond it’s 30 day limit by winding the clock back) I really do despise software piracy and condemn it’s use.
It appears that there has been an increase in the number of pirate copies of Mach recently and since the release of a Mach licence file generator the illegal copies are impossible to distinguish from ones that are genuine. Perhaps version 4 will address this issue but that would almost certainly be underestimating the cunning of the crackers.
Vectric, who produce an excellent range of software have now been targeted by the cracking teams making their flagship Aspire v3 the most widely ripped off software currently in the CNC world. Unable to get a perfect working model from the demo version a cracking team advertised for contributors and within a few weeks obtained enough $$ to purchase the full version of the software. The complete cracked version appeared a few weeks later.
When I see new members of both this forum and the Zone who are unable to set up their own machines but are using Aspire v3 then I wonder – Did they really pay $2,000 for it.

Sorry to moan but I just felt it coming on.

Tweakie.
PEACE

andrewm

Re: Going Off on One (again).
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 03:57:32 PM »
I totally agree with you, though, Unfortunately you cant ever have a 100% guarantee that it wont happen. I guess it boils down to a companies willingness to view it as "Acceptable losses" versus what they make in net profit(IE: netting 2million a year and losing 2k to counterfeiting). Granted no one wants to lose the money but in the long run its cheaper then putting higher security measures in place.

It still is ridiculous and shouldn't happen, and is pretty frustrating when the rest of us pay for something that someone else is getting for free(hopefully they get caught and sued or better yet, caned!)

By the way, this doesn't reflect ArtSoft/Newfangled opinion on the matter - just mine :)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 06:33:09 PM »
Worse yet they go onto a forum and seek advice in solving problems with the software or their machines. That one really burns my ask!
RICH

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 02:31:13 AM »
Something that would perhaps be nice, although it may mean a lot of work, is to have a ‘Verified Member’ symbol (for those that have applied for it) to show that a member of this forum does indeed have a genuine Mach3 licence.
I agree with Rich and I am very happy to help those newcomers who are using the trial version or indeed a licensed version but there are far too many Ivan’s and Papa’s for my liking.

Tweakie.
PEACE