Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:47:51 PM

Author Topic: Where to start  (Read 8079 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Where to start
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 05:36:16 PM »
Yes, if the drives are good then its likely the way I would go also. You would need one of the above mentioned controllers though. The YAPSC can do Step/Dir to analogue but I dont know much about them and have not heard a great deal but a search on the CNC Zone may bring you some answers as I think that is where most activity on them is.

The KFlop/KAnalog would maybe be the way I would go although DSPMC also seems good but more expensive. Having said that I have a 4 axis Galil here that I bought on eBay a while back so maybe that would be the way for me.

Suppose it all depends on you, have a look at the Kflop/Kanalog and DSPMC sites and see what you think, the Galil site may not help you much but there are sections here for Galil which should give you info, also section for DSPMC but dont think the KFlop/KAnalog has a section here.

How does your turret work? is it all hydraulic or standard DC motor or servo? Also tailstock, is it hydraulic or servo driven for positioning?

Hood
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 05:49:49 PM »
Does what I'm thinking make sense.  I could just take out all the other boards in my controller box and leave the one
that drives my dc servos.  Basically remove the brains and use mach3 as the controller.  Would I need an add on plc?

Also, what would you want for the galil 4 axis card?

Thanks.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 05:57:30 PM »

If you are meaning the servo Amps then yes you would need to keep them but if you are meaning a board that is in the control that sends the analogue voltage to the amps then its unlikely you could use that with Mach.

If using something like the DSPMC or Galil or possibly the KFLOP/KAnalog then you will likely have enough I/O from them to not need a PLC. I must admit though personally I like a PLC as ladder logic is relatively easy and very configurable and makes integration simple.

As for the Galil it probably wouldnt be cost effective for you buying it from me even if I was to sell. I am in the UK and paid £150 for it and with postage to the USA I am sure you would get one cheaper on eBay in the USA. The downside of the Galil for me at this point is the breakout boards are fairly expensive and certainly in the UK they are very scarce on eBay, the USA may be different.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 05:59:52 PM »
Oh as a side note, check with the Galil part of this forum as to which models are suitable as not all are. The one I have is a self contained unit but you also get PCI card versions which work with Mach. The older ISA ones dont as far as I know but maybe that has changed.
Hood
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 06:06:37 PM »
Please forgive me for being a little slow on terminology.  I have been running these things for years
and letting other, more qualified people work on them.  That's all different now. 
When you say "servo amps" you're talking about the power amplifier that sends the required amperage
to run the servo motor?  The actual controller board in my controller box would be replaced by the
galil or equivilent driver card?

I understand about the galil card you have.

Thanks.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 06:17:07 PM »
Servo Amps or Drives, one in the same although Amps (amplifiers) are the more usual term for the old type that these machines of that vintage tend to have.
The amps are likely to be a series of cards, one or more for each axis although they may be multi axis cards. They will likely be in a rack in your cabinet and also likely to have a power supply in that rack. That is what you will need to keep but the brain part of your control will be what is replaced by Mach and the Galil, DSPMC or whatever.
Hope I am explaining it OK but if not ask more as its not easy for me as I am also not a technician so just learned as I have gone.

Hood
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 07:11:59 PM »
Galil cards of the ISA variety work as long as they are of the 17XX series.
The 10XX series don't work.
I also have a USB Galil controller and it works. The PCI and Ethernet varieties work as well.
The Galil controllers should work well on your lathe up to the point of threading. Threading is being worked on but is not yet ready to be released.
The 5 and more axis has lots more I/O than the 4 axis or less units. If you buy the board to control the extended I/O then you will have plenty.

The DSPMC, of which I have 2 of, works real well and is supposed to be able to thread but I don't have one installed on a lathe(yet).
DSPMC V2 has 96 I/O which should be more than enough for any lathe and most mills. Pricey when you get the 4 breakout boards but industrial strength.

The Kflop, of which I have none, is another analog output option that supports threading. Looks like a good bit of kit but again  I have no personal experience.

HTH,

Mike

We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.