Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:42:06 PM

Author Topic: Digital read out problem  (Read 6441 times)

Digital read out problem
« on: May 07, 2011, 07:02:21 PM »
Digital read out problem
I’m running a home built CNC router.  It is a typical stepper motor set up.   I use Mach3 controls program and  VCarve CAM program.  Everything was working just fine.  All of my out puts are right, motor tuning and steps are correct. When I design engrave a project with Vcarve everything comes out to scale. In other words everything works except one thing. The digital readout for my XYZ axis is incorrect. When my machine moves one inch the DRO shows it moving 25 inches. If I send the machine back to zero the machine goes right back to its original position. The only thing I can see that is wrong is the DRO is out of scale.
I don’t remember making any changes, maybe I did. The DRO just seem to be out of scale for no good reason.  Is there a way to set the DRO back to the right scale? Any and all help would be much appreciated.
Thanks Chris

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Digital read out problem
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 07:07:48 PM »
Set the counts per unit on Config menu then Ports and Pins then Encoder/MPG page, sounds like you need to multiply the values there by 25.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 07:57:42 PM »
thanks for your help. I multiplied the values by 25 it works right up until I loaded a g code file from V carve.  now its back to doing the same thing. I think some how the file created in v carve is changing the settings.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 08:01:19 PM »
Sounds strange, almost like you have your native units set to mm and have tuned your mtors so that 1 unit instead of moving 1mm actually moves 1 inch.
If you attach your xml I will take a look, would also be handy if you let me know if you have microstepping drives and if so what the amount is and if you have gearing between motor and screw, lastly the pitch of your screws.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 08:14:03 PM »
thanks again, I'm using keling step motors and drivers. set at 1/8th microsteping  using a 4 start 8 thread per inch  drive nut. with 32 steps per minutes. My native units are set to inces "first thing i checked". Sorry but I'm just  back yard inventor i am unfamiliar with the xml. file. 200x8x2=3200
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 08:14:32 PM »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 08:19:10 PM »
The xml is the file that holds your config, it has the name of the profile you use and is located in the main Mach3 folder. So for example if you open Mach look at lower right you will see the profile name, look in the Mach3 folder for a file with that name and an xml extension. You will likely nneed to copy it to your desktop then rename to something like Chris.xml and then use the additional options on the reply page to attach it. Would also be good if you attached the G Code file as well.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 08:58:12 PM »
thanks again
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 09:00:46 PM »
once again

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 03:40:46 AM »
The xml attached seems fine for your motors etc but it doesnt have any encoders set up?
Hood