Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:16:01 PM

Author Topic: Which end mills to have on hand????  (Read 2687 times)

Which end mills to have on hand????
« on: May 03, 2011, 08:22:57 PM »
    This is rather general; But what end mills should I have for most applications? I have a standard assortment which came with my Sherline. I also have 3/8 x1-1/2 long and some very tiny end mills form harbour freight. Very cheap but worth a try for 6 bucks. What sizes of ball mills, engravers and specialty bits? Granted each users preferences will differ but a general idea would help me pick a fair assortment.

Thanks.
Craig
Re: Which end mills to have on hand????
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 08:44:29 PM »
Correction the cheap harbour freight mills are really tiny drills

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 09:48:45 PM »
Hmm........
Any end mill that fits your machine.....any end mill which are new or like new which you can buy cheap..... ;)
Reground bought cheap.... ;)
Cobalt prefered, but HSS ok for your small machine, carbide when you can buy cheap.... ;)
2 flute, 4 flute, ball end, square end, center cutting, etc when you can buy cheap ;)

What can i say......any end mill which fits your machine and you can buy cheaply, :)
RICH
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:41:56 PM »
Thanks Rich,

Do you have a preffered a supplier(s)?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 06:26:37 AM »
Graig1,
You may want to watch what Emco has on sale and just buy a set which would includes 2 and 4 flute 1/8" to 1/2" in 1/16" increments.
HSS steel / tin coated and they are not expensive. That will get you started. What you need depends on waht you are going to machine.
Small end mills are expensive and break in a heart beat.

By cheap, I am meaning that you should be on the look out at flee markets or garage sales, even auctions. Over time the "collection" will build.
There is nothing wrong with re-ground end mills if done properly and you account for change in diameter in the CAM.

I have an end mill sharpener and don't even bother sharpening , say 1/8" end mills ,as I buy them often for only 50 cents each brand new.
Don't buy chipped or worn out end mills unless you can sharpen them. Be on the look out for the small ones ie; 1/64"  since they are expensive.

RICH