Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:04:52 PM

Author Topic: cnc for milling out a circuit board  (Read 4891 times)

cnc for milling out a circuit board
« on: April 29, 2011, 02:04:44 AM »
can some one help me on getting this to work i have tried to make this one but is not working i will post the picture of the  part  this part is for a cricut machine that controls the z axis elevation PLEASE HELP

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: cnc for milling out a circuit board
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 03:37:08 AM »
I don't understand the problem.
I usually use the surface of the work as Z=0 so I would edit your GCode to replace the Z0.0000 to be Z-0.007 or something like that.

What is the problem you are having ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 08:59:44 PM »
hi Tweakie. the problem is that wen i send to cut the part it cuts tro some of the lines maybe is because I'm using another bit i got a dremel bit ball point i don't know how to make the drawing to use this type of bit can some one please modified the dxf file to use this type of bit or Wat can i do to make this work  ???

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 01:30:49 AM »
I see your problem now.

The ball bit is really not the best tool, an engraving bit with a small flat on the bottom is what you should be using. Although it would be possible to redo the toolpath with a smaller stepover, the GCode would take forever to complete and would probably still leave some copper where it is not required.

My best suggestion is that you obtain some engraving points similar to these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5x-Carbide-PCB-Engraving-Bits-CNC-Router-Tool-30D-0-2mm-/260776680711?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item3cb7805d07#ht_2420wt_1139 they cost very little and will make a good job.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 12:50:56 AM »
Thank you tweakie i will buy some of the bits.,  if anyone here can make the part a sell it to me jus let me know please  

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 04:22:25 AM »
I did a trial run on your GCode and the results are not good.
Your design lends itself better to acid etch than it does to routing mainly because of the fineness of the tracks. The loading which mechanical cutting puts on the copper substrate can approach the bond strength between the copper and the board when such fine tracks are milled and as can be seen from the photo part of the tracks are missing.
If you thicken up the traces, you may be in with a chance but, as it stands, this design would be extremely difficult to produce with a router.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 07:43:28 PM »
thank you Tweakie acid etch the part and it work greater., the harder part was to soldering the tiny part to the flat connector but it all turn out OK now the machine is working greater. thank you Tweakie for taking the time to router the part  :) i will post some pictures later.,  thank you again Tweakie.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 12:47:55 AM »
here are the pictures sorry for the bad quality :)  :-[

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 02:17:22 AM »
Good work, I am pleased you got it sorted.
Thank you for sharing the links to other useful information.

Tweakie.
PEACE