Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:19:09 AM

Author Topic: Reclangular Pocket positioning question  (Read 3766 times)

Offline Shuey

•  21 21
    • View Profile
Reclangular Pocket positioning question
« on: November 26, 2006, 08:14:04 PM »
Hey Crew,

Finally finished off my mill conversion and was cutting a reclangular pocket on the weekend to try out the wizards.

Question I have for you is am I meant to  allow for the dimension of the radius of the cutter I am using for the X & Y coordinates when locating the pocket?

I entered tooling information in the table in Mach 3 and it appeared in the tool page.

For the record, I was cutting a pocket 35(l) x 32(w) x 26(d) mm in a billet 60 x 40 x 150 mm using a 10mm 2 flute carbide end mill. I wanted a 4 mm perimeter around three sides so I originally set the X & Y to 4mm and nominated the "Set Position" to the corner I wanted. But when it cut the first pass it was clearly 5mm out. I adjusted the X&Y to 9mm from the same "Set Position" and it came out fine.

Am I doing something wrong here? Have I got the tool set up incorrect? The pocket came out to the exact dimensions and therefore must be allowing for the cutter diameter...so hmm any hints or is it a case of allowing for the radius of the cutter in the X&Y positions?

Any clues would be a great help and cure my curiousity.

Cheers,

Marcus
Re: Reclangular Pocket positioning question
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 10:16:33 AM »
Is this in the newfangled solutions wizard set? You need to enter the tool dia in the wizard not into the tool table.

Hope that helps
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline Shuey

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 06:18:54 PM »
Thanks for your reply Brian.

Yes, it is in the newfangled solutions wizard set.
I did enter it in the Wizard. I'll go back and have another go... I'll re-enter the detail again and see how I go. I'll report back.

Thanks,

Marcus
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 08:25:38 AM »
be sure to press enter after you type in the data... you would not be the first one to have that get you  ;)
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com