Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:50:21 AM

Author Topic: Building CNC Machines  (Read 3303 times)

Building CNC Machines
« on: April 24, 2011, 06:21:38 AM »
Hi,

Relatively new to CNC although have played with a few stepper motors and a controller a few times. Am looking to builsd a cnc Plasma cutter/router. Can anyone point me towards a few good websites, books etc go get my head around the complete package from computer to machine interfaces hieght contor;l BOB, drives, power supplies , power ratings really from start ot finish. Would be much appreciated.

Cheers Ron.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Building CNC Machines
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 08:01:54 AM »
Hi Ron,

If only it was that simple.
Unfortunately, because there is more than just one way of doing just about everything, there is huge difference of opinion on which is the best way so you have to shop around choosing the best bits (in your opinion) from here and there.
I built my own CNC from scratch and spent many months looking at every design I could find on the net, hoping to learn from others mistakes, finally settled on my design and away I went. It turned out pretty well and I can produce good stuff but If I was starting again, with what I have learnt since, the design would have some major  differences.
Reading this forum will give you a mine of knowledge, some things being what to do and others being what not to do but IMO the only real way is to jump in both feet. Personally I don't think Routing and Plasma share any common ground as far as machine design is concerned and two machines would be a better option if this is what you are planning to do. Perhaps constructing a cheaper and more basic machine would give you the experience to know exactly what you need for a quality build.

Don't know if my ramblings help at all  :)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 08:04:33 AM »
you can but a complete electronics kit for a plasma machine from www.candcnc.com
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 08:36:19 AM »
Thanks Guys,

You are right a dedicated machine for both would be more advantages. Mechanical I can work out it is mostly the componentry and electronics to get my head around. Programing and experimenting will come next.

Any Books that you know of?

Thanks.

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 09:04:04 AM »
I'm not sure this will fit your details 100%, but these guys seem to
do a good job!!!
Lots if info!!
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php

A friend of mine (who got me started in this CNC stuff) built a plasma
machine and then added a removable spoil board and router. He was
able to switch back and forth with good results. Just depends on what
you want out of the machine.

olf20 / Bob
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:07:41 AM by olf20 »
Mach3, Atlas Knee Mill, 4th Axis, VcarvePro, ESS, Super PID.
Been Heating with corn since 1998