Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 10:30:40 AM

Author Topic: Auto Tool Zero Help  (Read 36107 times)

Offline Helicopterjohn

•  62 62
  • Seffner, Florida
    • View Profile
    • Helicopterjohn.com
Auto Tool Zero Help
« on: April 21, 2011, 06:54:54 AM »
Hi,

I have done several searches and read the associated topics on setting up Auto Tool Zero.

I purchased a used Shopbot router recently.  The proximity switches on the X & Y axis and the E Stop button were disconnected.  Thanks to the help received here on the forum I now have those issues behind me.  The I can now home the machine as advertised and the E Stop button is working correctly.

What I am working on now is the Auto Tool Zero.  The Auto Tool Zero plate was also disconnected.  I talked with Art at CNC4PC and he pointed out in the C10 Breakout board where the schematic for the Auto Tool Zero was in the manual.  I have wired the Auto Tool Zero Plate per his instructions and made the associated test of touching the Auto Tool Zero Plate to the tool that has the alligator clip attached.  When I do this the DITIGIZE button lights up on the Diagnostics page as it should.

I THINK????? I am ready to place a script in the Program Run screen (Tool Information/Auto Tool Zero Button).  I understand the process is to go to the Operator/Edit Button Script menu option and select the Blinking Auto Tool Zero button and clear any information that may be currently located in the script dialog box and replace it with a suitable script for the Auto Tool Zero Function.  I would like to put a script in there that does the (2) step touch off process, one first at regular speed and then the secondary touchoff and a slower speed at a minimum retract in height.

1:     Does anyone have a script that would perform that operation that they would share we me?

2:     Is there anything that I am missing that I should do prior to pasting the required script into the Auto Tool Zero Button and try this out?

3:     Do I need to first set up a tool in the library i.e. Tool #1 and give it a diameter?  It is my understanding that the Macro Script would fill in the Tool Height in the tool table after the Auto Tool Zero is performed????

4:     Pror to running the Auto Tool Zero Macro Do I have to select the tool number i.e. Tool #1 that I want to Tool Zero prior to runining the Macro Script?

Just trying to understand the process.

Note:  While I have all the proximity switch and home switches hooked up and operational on the X & Y Axis, I don't currently have an (upward i.e. positive limit/home switch) on the Z Axis.  Can the script for Auto Tool Zero run without having the Z Axis limit/home siwtch installed and operational?

Thanks in advance for any help/input you guys can offer.

John
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:06:31 AM by Helicopterjohn »
Shopbot PRT 48 X 96  Gekco 203V drives, PMDX-126 Multi-Mode Breakout Board, PMDX-107 Isolated Speed Control, (2) Ea. PMDX-133 3-axis Daisy-Chainable Motherboard for Gekco 203V's, PMDX-2PARPCi Dual Parallel Port Card, Super PID Speed Controller, 2010 Screen Set, Solid State Relays for dust/coolant.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Auto Tool Zero Help
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 07:06:38 AM »
There are scripts here, but not sure if it does a double probe. If not, it's easy to modify to do so.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/36099-another_aussie_auto_tool_zero.html

You shouldn't need a home or limit switch.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Helicopterjohn

•  62 62
  • Seffner, Florida
    • View Profile
    • Helicopterjohn.com
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 08:15:59 AM »
Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the quick reply and URL Link.

Ultimately, I would like to go to your screen set with all the tool changing options.  Just trying to get my feet wet at first and get the machine running with the basic options as I am a newbie to MACH3 and electronics is not my stong suit.

Working on the Tool Setter first, then the Super PID like you have installed, then the 2010 Screen set.

John
Shopbot PRT 48 X 96  Gekco 203V drives, PMDX-126 Multi-Mode Breakout Board, PMDX-107 Isolated Speed Control, (2) Ea. PMDX-133 3-axis Daisy-Chainable Motherboard for Gekco 203V's, PMDX-2PARPCi Dual Parallel Port Card, Super PID Speed Controller, 2010 Screen Set, Solid State Relays for dust/coolant.

Offline Helicopterjohn

•  62 62
  • Seffner, Florida
    • View Profile
    • Helicopterjohn.com
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 12:15:02 PM »
Hi Gerry,

I visited the link you provided and downloaded the modified 1024zip file and copied the screen set into my Mach3 folder and picked that screen set and now have it loaded on my machine.  I took the original script file and modified it for (Inch) system per instructions saved it and cleared the existing code from the script and pasted the attached files (tried both of them and the worked the same.  I am sure it must be some type of rookie mistake on my part.  

I zero the Z axis DRO.
I click on the plate thickness input dialog box and input the thickness of my plate i.e. 0.125 inches located on the program run screen.
I click on the Auto Zero Tool Button.
The macro starts to run and the pause lite come on as expected, I hear (one) click on the router motor but (no movement in the minus Z direction like it is going to touch off the tool).  The next message I get in the ERROR dialog box is the the Z Axis is now zeroed.  The original modified 1024 screen was in metric and I made the changes listed below to (inches) in the script.  One of the guys on the other form that I was linked to mentioned he had to put a 1 K resistor in the circuit. Could this what is wrong with my current setup?  If so, it is off to Radio Shack????  Are there possibly any other settings in either the input or output screens that I need to make to get this to work?

Code "G31Z-.25 F10" 'probing move, can set the feed rate here as well as how far to move
Code "G0 Z1" 'put the Z retract height you want here

I have attached the (2) scripts that I tried in the modified 1024 screen set.

John
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 12:18:36 PM by Helicopterjohn »

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 12:31:50 PM »

If you get the message that probing is complete, that indicates that the macro finished. If the Z never moved, then the probe was probably triggered by noise. Usually a small capacitor is used to reduce the noise, not a resistor.
Gerry

2010 Screenset

Offline Helicopterjohn

•  62 62
  • Seffner, Florida
    • View Profile
    • Helicopterjohn.com
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 12:46:01 PM »
Hi Gerry,

Thanks for your valued input.  I did a little more reading in that URL you linked me to.  I saw where one of the guys put a 0.01 UF Capacitor in the circuit and that got rid of the noise he had.  Well, we are off to Radio Shack.

John

Offline Helicopterjohn

•  62 62
  • Seffner, Florida
    • View Profile
    • Helicopterjohn.com
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 08:41:17 PM »
Hi,

I purchased the 0.01 UF Capacitor and placed it in the circuit.  Not being an electronics guy I probably hooked it up incorrectly.
Here is what I did.  Prior to putting the Capacitor in the circuit I did a test by touching the auto zero plate to the end mill in the collet which had the ground wire attached.  The TOUCH light lit up in the Dialog Box and also the Digitize light lit up in the diagnostics screen.

Also, checked the ports and pins settings.  The probe is set up on port 1 and Pin 13. Active Low

I have a CNC4PC C10 Breakout Board with the inputs in the Pull Up configuration.

I have two wires.  One is hooked to Input 13 and the other is hooked to GROUND (not the 5 volt terminal) per instructions in the CNC4PC C10 Break out Board Manual.

I took the ground wire off the terminal on the break out board and attached one of the wires on the capacitor to that and attached the other wire on the capacitor to the ground terminal.
I also tried putting the capacitor on the Input 13 wire and had the same results.  In either of these configurations, when I touch the auto zero plate to the end mill the TOUCH light does not light.  Also, the macro still does not work.

Maybe, I should have put one of the leads on the Capacitor to the Ground and the other to Input 13???????

I have also attached the script that is currently attached to the Auto Tool Zero Button.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Any Ideas??????

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 08:27:02 AM »
John,

Maybe, I should have put one of the leads on the Capacitor to the Ground and the other to Input 13?

I think you should try that as it should work that way.  ;)

Also....

The script you are using has seen a number of updates since later versions of Mach have caused some lines such as  "Code "G4 P0.25" 'Pause for Dro to update." to no longer work as intended. Perhaps be a good idea to look for the updated version which uses all "while / wend" commands for catchup.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 08:38:23 AM »
Also, the macro still does not work.

You need to tell me exactly what happens, and what if any messages you get. Just saying it doesn't work gives us nothing to go on.

Fix the cap, as tweakie suggested, and make sure you can get the digitize LED to work when touching the plate, first.
Gerry

2010 Screenset

Offline Helicopterjohn

•  62 62
  • Seffner, Florida
    • View Profile
    • Helicopterjohn.com
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 09:03:49 AM »
Hi,

EUREKA!
I just got back from the shop and saw your message.  Thanks for your valued input.

I decided to get brave and try my other alternative earlier this morning. (Maybe, I should have put one of the leads on the Capacitor to the Ground and the other to Input 13?)

Tweakie, yes you are correct that did work.

One issue I did have was that I took a measurement on the Touch off Plate and it read 0.120 Inches.  In order to get the touch off routine to work accurately I had to increase the number in the touch off plate thickness setting to 0.136 Inches.  Not a big deal as it now takes accurate consistent measurements.

I am not exactly sure what version of Mach3 I have.  I originally loaded the Demo version (not sure which version I picked) then purchased the license for MACH3 from CNC4PC and inserted that license code into the demo software that I originally loaded.
Is there a screen or tab somewhere that will tell me what version of Mach3 is currently loaded.

I found a revised script at the link originally given me and will give it a try now that the mechanicals of the tool setter seem to be working correctly.

You Guys are the BEST!