Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:06:31 PM

Author Topic: Shopbot with Mach3 homing issues  (Read 9569 times)

Offline Helicopterjohn

•  62 62
  • Seffner, Florida
    • View Profile
    • Helicopterjohn.com
Shopbot with Mach3 homing issues
« on: April 16, 2011, 05:51:48 AM »
Hi,

I have tried looking through the posts on Homing and haven't found anything so far that I believe relates to my problem.   I am new to Mach3 so it is probably something obvious to the expert user.

My first issue as it pertains to proximity switches and Emergency Stop button and getting them hooked up on my new to me shopbot PRT has been resolved.  I only have proximity switches hooked up on the X and Y Axis, none yet on the Z axis.  The proximity switches currently are the normally open type but will be converted to the normally closed in the near future.

I am able to run parts on the machine and also jog around the table and hit (the return to zero button) and the X Y & Z controls will home to that position i.e. G54 with ease and run smoothly without any growling.

My issue is when I push (the reference all home button) on the Program Run Screen the Y axis starts to move in the desired direction toward home but growls instead of moving smoothly.  When it gets to the Zero position and the X axis starts to move it throws the carriage off the X track.  I am slaving the A Axis to the X axis.  I have tried multiple configurations of the soft limits, reverse settings on the A axis etc. etc. but have not hit the right combination.  I have also checked the box in the general settings for home slaving with Master Axis in the general configurations dialog box.

Also, my router table has approximately 48" in the Y Axis, approximatley 96" in the X axis and approximately 6" in the Z axis.  As mentioned above I am slaving the A Axis to the X Axis.
Any help on sorting this issue out would be appreciated.  I have attached my current XML file.  Please look at my Motor Home/Soft Limits settings and let me know when I went wrong.  Try not to laugh to hard when you look at it. ;D
Shopbot PRT 48 X 96  Gekco 203V drives, PMDX-126 Multi-Mode Breakout Board, PMDX-107 Isolated Speed Control, (2) Ea. PMDX-133 3-axis Daisy-Chainable Motherboard for Gekco 203V's, PMDX-2PARPCi Dual Parallel Port Card, Super PID Speed Controller, 2010 Screen Set, Solid State Relays for dust/coolant.

Offline Helicopterjohn

•  62 62
  • Seffner, Florida
    • View Profile
    • Helicopterjohn.com
Re: Shopbot with Mach3 homing issues
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 05:59:20 AM »
For some reason I am unable to add an attachment i.e my xml file.  I tried adding it both with an .xml extension and also zipped it and even tried to change the name of the file.  The regular file size was approximately 150K and the zipped one was only 32K.  The upload instructions indicate that either file type is allowed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:15:05 AM by Helicopterjohn »
Shopbot PRT 48 X 96  Gekco 203V drives, PMDX-126 Multi-Mode Breakout Board, PMDX-107 Isolated Speed Control, (2) Ea. PMDX-133 3-axis Daisy-Chainable Motherboard for Gekco 203V's, PMDX-2PARPCi Dual Parallel Port Card, Super PID Speed Controller, 2010 Screen Set, Solid State Relays for dust/coolant.

Offline Helicopterjohn

•  62 62
  • Seffner, Florida
    • View Profile
    • Helicopterjohn.com
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 06:22:09 AM »
Hi,

Well, it let me modify the thread add a jpeg picture.  Then I went to try and add the original XML file and the MODIFY dialog box disappeared.  Can you only modfy a post 1 time?

I have added the zipped attachment again.  Lets see what happens.

Hurray,  it finally worked.

Thanks,

John

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 07:07:50 AM »
John,

We all like to help and provide support on this forum but we do not in any way condone software piracy.

No offence intended but I am a bit concerned that you have one of the "Ivan..... " licensed versions of Mach3 - perhaps you would clarify this situation please.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 07:35:00 AM »
I think what Tweakie is saying is that you may have an invalid license, which could be causing the problem. You need to contact license@machsupport.com and send them a copy of the license to make sure it is valid.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Helicopterjohn

•  62 62
  • Seffner, Florida
    • View Profile
    • Helicopterjohn.com
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 08:04:59 AM »
I have just reticified the license issue.  Ordered from CNC4PC.  Will send you a correct XML file once the license is received and installed.

Thanks,

John

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 08:42:45 AM »
John,

I don't actually use the "ref all home button" but this is a VB button which means that it's function is user configurable (Operator / Edit Button Script / click on flashing button). There is a chance that it is configured incorrectly for your setup of using a slaved axis.

Not much help really but that's all I know about it.  :-\

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Helicopterjohn

•  62 62
  • Seffner, Florida
    • View Profile
    • Helicopterjohn.com
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 08:59:40 AM »
Hi Tweakie,

Thanks for the reply.  I am completely new to Mach3 and have been trying to read as much as I can and absorb.

I was trying to relate to other CNC machines that can home when they startup and thought that was how it was done in Mach3.

John

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 09:08:44 AM »
In Config > Homing/Limits, the A settings need to be exactly the same as the X settings. You have them homing in opposite directions.

Try changing the homing speed on the Y axis. The growling could be resonance.

What kind of drives are you using?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Helicopterjohn

•  62 62
  • Seffner, Florida
    • View Profile
    • Helicopterjohn.com
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 09:51:04 AM »
Hi,

First, thanks for the reply.

I am currently using Gekco 202 drives.

I talked to another friend of mine and he is using Gekco G203v's on his plasma cutter.  Here is what he had to say, of course that is his opinion:

The Gecko 202 is a very old drive and you can't tune the mid range like the G203v drives that I use on my plasma. So what this means is a stepper with 10 micro step drive like the 202 will have a noisy range. The G203v morphs from 10 micro steps at slow speeds to single steps at high speed. The change point can be adjusted to suit your steppers.

Soft Limits:

I have made so many changes in the homing limits page trying to get it to work that I can't be sure that both the A and X weren't going the same direction originally when the X axis jumped off the track but will change that and give it a try, but intend to do a complete re-install of the Mach3 software on a spare Windows XP Professional computer running 32bit software.  Originally, the soft max was set at 100.00 and the soft min was set at -100.00 for the X and Y axis.  I realize the Z axis is reversed and of course it only has 6" of travel.  Did those settings look O.K. for a 48" X 96" router?