Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 06:05:17 PM

Author Topic: Bug in Version Update?  (Read 5142 times)

Bug in Version Update?
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:43:43 AM »

I’m testing and comparing angular and rotary G-Code in Mach3 Version R3.042.029 and the newest, ? , R3.043.022. In the later the Program Run Time Estimates are exactly twice that of the earlier version and that calculated. Here are the Criteria. 5” diameter work piece calculated to be about 15.7” in circumference. Feed rate = 15.7” per minute. Command = G01 A 360. I understand that to be one full turn. The new version estimates that command to take 2.00 minutes. I calculate it to take one. I believe the new version is using the A Diameter DRO as a radius in its calculations. Attached are screen shots of my settings from both versions. Am I misunderstanding things or is there an error? Thanks for any input.

Tony
Re: Bug in Version Update?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 10:15:17 AM »

I see what the difference is now. See attached. Thanks to anyone who has been scratching there head. I will will have to edit my screen sets.
Tony
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 12:38:03 PM »
From Mach3 ChangeLog:

Dec 23/2009
Release 3.042.033
-- Fix for - scale and IJK arc commands
-- Spindle speed register expanded for computers over 3GHz (they where reading - speed)
-- Rotational feed correction fixed for moves with Z axis !=0

-- Rotational Dia feed changed to Radius rather then Dia

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 05:23:47 PM »
It's always used Radius, but the old screen was incorrectly labeled as diameter.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 07:37:52 AM »
Thanks Garry. I agree the DORs have always been radius DROs and the old screens were labeled Diameter but if you entered a diameter the old software would divide it by 2 before making further calculations. Look at the difference in estimated run time on the tool path tab of my old and new screens. The old screens show the correct time with a diameter entered. In the changelog I believe “Rotational Dia feed changed to Radius rather then Dia” means the screen labels were changed and the divide by 2 was eliminated.

Anyways, if anybody is using old or old customized screens or code to populate the DROs with the new version software they will have to make some changes.

Tony
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 10:21:04 PM »
I'm having problems setting up the rotation radius dro for the feed rate compensation. I cannot enter any values , like .001 for the rotation radius. Mach 3 will not allow any values other than 0.0.   What do I do?  Rob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 02:51:02 AM »
Are you remembering to press your keyboards enter key after typing a value into the DRO?
Hood
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:37:34 AM »
Thanks, Hood. That was the problem. I have been pouring over my Vectric Aspire software and am not giving Mach 3 enough attention. I want to set up offsets for the rotary touch plate I'm making and will be spending more time on the forum.  By the way, my father was born in Dumbarton, Scotland and immigrated to NY.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 10:31:12 AM »
I notice another issue when I run a test program. When I turn 3" diameter stock, and the feed rate is 100 inches / min., the stock does not go a full 360 before stopping and turning back to zero. It stops short both ways. When I adjust the feed rate down to 50% , the rotation is more corrected and comes closer to 360 and 0.  I have no idea what to do about this.  Any suggestions?  Rob