Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 09:44:56 AM

Author Topic: Diy Laser cutter MK1  (Read 14606 times)

Re: Diy Laser cutter MK1
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 06:36:45 AM »
where did you get the laser, adn what is the thickest wood material it can cut?
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 11:58:02 AM »
@ Tweakie.

Balsa cuts nicely but as with most organic materials  it's density can vary widely from inch to inch, not much of a problem when you need to cut it but if you want to engrave a rib number on the part going all the way through can weaken  it.
A high power high speed cut gives you a nice almost polished edge, to slow and you get a bit of carbon. A lot of air assist helps with the cut and has the added effect of pushing the balsa onto the bed if it's a bit twisted.
It also leaves behind a nice sticky brown tar like residue, the best things for cleaning it off are cheap and nasty baby wipe from ASDA. ( also available from other supermarkets )

On a safety note don't leave the room if you're cutting balsa, if the air assist fails and the balsa catches light, it will smolder until your left with just ash and a room full of dense smoke. Or possible just a pile of ash and no room.

I fly ARTFs  and the park zone Bind and fly but they never feel as good as flying one you've stuck together yourself though !

@jonny quest

Get it out the basement, build a plane. attract it to a couple of bits of wire, and the spin round on the same spot as fast as you can until you puke !
How much fun can a boy have ??   What ya waiting for dude  ;D

@jjenkinsruthie

Q,  where did you get the laser?                                     A, The peoples republic of China.
Q, what is the thickest wood material it can cut?              A, depends on the wood, up to 1/2" balsa, after that it looks too messy, 1/8" bitch ply, probably 1/4" birch ply although i've not tried that yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=cjye-hShux4

The above is 1/8" ply.

the end result.

BB

The Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 02:11:05 AM »
That looks really great bb, nice job and nice clean cuts.

Just one thing, I think you may need to look at the software you are using to create the toolpaths as it seems to be cutting a little too close to the edges in places. Perhaps using offsets may help.

Tweakie.
PEACE