Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:50:15 PM

Author Topic: Diy Laser cutter MK1  (Read 14569 times)

Diy Laser cutter MK1
« on: April 09, 2011, 12:30:08 PM »
Ok so it may not be a looker but it's more or less there.

It's 1100mm  by 550mm running on a 80w Co2 laser
Parts from all over, but mainly B&Q !

Now I know it'll do what I want it'll get a proper bed and bench under it.
Then It'll get boxed in.

It's been a steep learning curve and i have a feeling there is a long way to go yet.
Parts are over engineered and others bits i know are gonna need revisiting when they fall apart.

Oh yeah,  I'd like to say a big Thank you to everybody here, without you lot I'd never have got this far with it.
Reading this forum has been an education.

BB
http://youtu.be/FHNfl_26zyE
The Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.
Re: Diy Laser cutter MK1
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 04:59:06 PM »
Thats look great !  What material are you cutting ?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 05:21:49 PM »
In the vid it's cutting old birch ply, what you can see in the photos is pieced, expanded steel sheet. In time it'll become the bed.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 05:18:19 AM »
Hey, that's great.

I can see some really nice planes on the horizon.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 07:03:51 AM »
Doh,            sussed !

I have a few plans and parts patterns for old time free flight and control line planes, plus the last 4 years of being laser less have produced a few designs of my own to play with.
Mainly small fast or edf stuff.  Oh yeah my mate wants a 1/3 scale Luscombe Silvare. ! Dunno what I'm gonna do after lunch tho.

BB

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 07:13:33 AM »
I fly the hard hat stuff (pylon racers) for a few months of the summer but I just love to watch the free-flight at Old Warden, Bedfordshire. If you ever share any of your free-flight designs I would be very interested to build.

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 07:28:55 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 10:06:06 AM »
AH Old Warden ,,  

The russell of Bri nylon, and tweed jackets, the smell of pipe smoke, ether, glow / diesel / castor oil fumes, mingling with the clasic scent of deep heat applied liberally after sprinting off the day before to recover a jetex Miles M52.
The melodic sound of a paw diesel being sworn at for 30 mins in an old English accent then the louder swearing as it starts when least expected resulting  in a deep cut, much blood loss and 6 Hrs spent in A&E.
The sight of a bunch of silly old codgers chasing a plane round in circles waving their walking sticks and laughing like teenager. While the Mrs shakes her head and wonders why he needs his walking frame at home to go for a pee......

A great weekend out, spent with fantastic people.

Most of the plans i have are Keil Kraft from the 50 / 60. If there's any particular one you fancy I'll see if i have it.
They take quite a while to cad up, the parts are scans of photo copies of badly printed wood that were never square in the first place.

Sharing is a given, the more people building the better. It is a hobby that's  literally dieing out.

BB

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 11:19:09 AM »
Yep, plenty of castor fumes and how about the tethered car racing ?
We could start another thread on this. I think Eddie Keil died a while back but Keil Kraft were located in Wickford, not far away from where I live now. Most of my buddies buy the artf planes and as you say, few build their own from scratch now.

Getting back to lasers, have you seen the Z axis table mechanisms that Bart has used for his machines ? http://www.buildlog.net simple yet effective.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 12:56:46 PM »
LAR LA LAR LA LA I'm not listening !!!!!
To be honest, i do really need one of them,,,,,,but, i also NEED the new Alfa that was on top gear.

Mk 1 is being built to help a couple of model shops produce their own laser cut kits. the bed size is to accommodate 3ft balsa and 900 x 600 lite ply etc.
It will also front load a full sheet of depron so it can be cut into a more manageable  size. as half an inch is about as much as i need to cut through moving
the object lens manually is just the easiest way to go at the mo. Having a moving bed will probably happen on the next build.

For now i have got to finish  what I've started. And i still have a long long way to go. So stand by for some dumb ass questions.

The next one will be smaller and faster, with all the toys i can afford. :-)

BB

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 04:29:22 AM »

Cutter news, the base is being cut and picked up tonight, so tomorrow i can bolt the thing down to something solid and set the beam alignment
up properly.

@Tweakie
love the garden markers, my Mrs asked me to do the same last weekend, told her I wasn't donna waste the laser time.  0 points for me them Doh !

How do ya fancy building one of these ? I have dug out some rough dxfs for it.

BB