Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:48:22 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 is not talking to Breakout board  (Read 35305 times)

Mach3 is not talking to Breakout board
« on: April 03, 2011, 09:17:17 PM »
Hi,
My name is Robert, I live in SE Texas.  I built a large CNC for a home shop. I have Mach3 and a C11G break out board. When Mach3 is running the screen appears to be running correctly.  Each arrow key makes the screen numbers increase / decrease as expected. The BOB however has no reaction.  The power light is lit. The output light is on.  The direction keys for both directions on the output pins are lit. Meaning all the output lights are on. When I turn the power on the motors jog.

Here is what I have done so far.
     The charge pump jumper is disabled on the BOB and in Mach3.
     The address for the port is correct.
     The inputs (limits, e-stop etc) are all disconnected from the BOB and disabled in Mach3.
     The enable jumper on the BOB is connected / jumped.
     Arturo at CNC4PC replaced the board.
     I bought a new PCI parallel port
     I have tried 4 different 25 pin cables (pass through).

I would really like to get this running.  Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get the computer talking to the BOB?

Here are a few questions I have -
     How do I test the parallel port to see if the pin assignment in Mach3 is actually happening on the  pins of the parallel card.
     If I am expecting to see a voltage on pin5 how do I know if it is CW or CCW. What is the expected voltage?  I am sure this discussion has taken place many times. Point me into the direction of the answer.

I own a Fluke 8060A Digital multi-meter.  It is expensive but is notorius for not reading quick signals. If the parallel port only outputs for 0.1 seconds I may not be able to read it. Do you know the duration of the expected voltage.

Thanks,

Robert

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
Re: Mach3 is not talking to Breakout board
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 02:17:34 AM »
Hi Robert,

Use your Fluke to measure the voltage of one of the pins directly on the PP cable connector. Unplug it from the C11G, put one of the probes on one of the direction pins, say pin 3, and the other on any of 18-25 (ground). Now using the arrows of the corresponding axis, jog it alternately each direction. The direction pin should be changing its state and you should see the readings reflect it.

Dan

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 02:32:17 AM »
Hi Robert,

The symptoms you describe would indicate that your PC is not communicating with your BoB.

It would be a good idea to actually check your parallel cable using a multimeter to see that that Pin1 goes to Pin1 and Pin2 to Pin2 and so on and that all the pins are connected.
In Device Manager check that your Printer port (LPT) is configured as ECP and that the address is 0378 or the same address as you are entering in Mach.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 02:46:13 PM »
Please assist me with tieing my desk top that is running Windows7 to my computer. I'm trying to get MACH3 demo running again.  Mach runs fine on the screen.

My original system operated under the XP operating system.  That computer failed and I was forced to use another much newer computer that did not have a parallel port for the printer card installed.

A parallel port card was installed in the open PCI slot of the newer computer.  The device manager sees (LPT1) and the configuration screen shots are set-up per manufactures instructions. 

The servo motors power up but MACH will not drive the stepper motors.

Any advice appreciated

Thank you

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 02:48:11 PM »
I answered you in your other post, please do not ask the same question in multiple threads :)
Hood
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 02:51:13 PM »
I apologize

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 05:29:46 PM »
What address do you have set for the port?
Do you have a voltmeter? If you do then test on the port between a Dir pin and a Gnd pin and jog the axis one way then the other and see if the voltage changes. You may need to set the active state of the E-Stop in ports and pins to the opposite of what it is now so that you can get Mach out of reset with the port cable unplugged.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 08:45:29 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.
   I bought a new parallel port that out puts 5vdc. 

Additional info that may be important, the computer is a brand new 32 bit computer, running XP.

My pins in Mach3 are set as follows:
    x axis  step 1; dir 2
    y axis  step 3; dir 4
    z axis  step 5; dir 6
    a axis  step 7; dir 8
When I test between any pin 1 to 8 and pin 18 I get pin 5.1 volts. Pressing any direction key does not change the output.

I am beginning to believe my Mach3 settings somewhere must have a conflict??

Please advise -

Thanks in advance

Robert

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 08:56:19 PM »
Additional items I checked
The port 1 in device manager is 0378; in mach it is Ox0378 so I think I have the correct address
I do not know what you mean by configure it for ECP. My port does not have the ECP so I assume it does not have that configuration.
When I am in the device manager the little check box for "legacy plug and play" is checked and the "never use an interupt" is also checked.
For an intelligent person I am really out of my element with computers.  Sorry for what is probably a simple solution for you.

When I was testing the pin voltages I was testing throught the parallel cable. Does 5.1 volts dc cause any problem versus 5.0?

Thanks,

Robert

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 01:45:11 AM »
Hi Robert,

Just to make sure Mach3 has been properly installed on your PC including the driver itself, run the driver test file located in the main Mach3 folder.

Also make sure the offline button on the main Mach3 screen is not active.

Dan