Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:31:50 AM

Author Topic: Suppressor Designs?  (Read 17636 times)

Suppressor Designs?
« on: April 01, 2011, 04:30:52 AM »
Anyone designed up a suppressor for a pistol or a rifle yet? I'm slowly getting to that, just curious if anyone else has yet.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Suppressor Designs?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 04:32:22 AM »
Is that the same thing as a silencer ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 04:35:45 AM »
Is that the same thing as a silencer ?

Tweakie.
Yep...I'm a licensed firearms manufacturer in Oregon. Nothing illegal here and I would post, or ask for postings, of designs. Just wondering if anyone has any tips.

Offline Cosha

•  63 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 06:59:46 AM »
Finally something i can chime in on!  >:D

Me pick me, i know a few tricks...

What Size round / grains will you be using?

For Example a 9mm will have different design/internal baffles to a .338

...any round that will go supersonic will be pointless for sound moderation, you cant silence a supersonic boom

...although you can controll the thermic flash and heat signature slightly with a moderator if your intending to hunt
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 07:03:17 AM »
Finally something i can chime in on!  >:D

Me pick me, i know a few tricks...

What Size round / grains will you be using?

For Example a 9mm will have different design/internal baffles to a .338

...any round that will go supersonic will be pointless for sound moderation, you cant silence a supersonic boom

...although you can controll the thermic flash and heat signature slightly with a moderator if your intending to hunt

I have a few suppressors already: a couple 22LR's, a few 9mm cans for my Uzi and MP5, a 5.56 on my M16 and a 308 can for a yet to be determined project. I don't have anything in mind yet, and I'm not too happy with the rifle suppression, but I figured I'd start with 22LR and move on from there.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 02:07:51 PM »
Pretty neat to find this topic.
I'm an SOT in Ky, just got a Microproto 4 axis mill for engraving (mostly) tubes and receivers. The sample files were missing from the package, so I am also looking for text  engraving as well as suppressor stuff. As far as that goes, any firearms stuff is good, but basic G code samples are really helpful.
I am an early, force-retired exec having to learn to run these things in my start-up.
Good start to my day on finding this thread.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 02:34:11 PM »
Well, a popular choice for (improvised) .22lr silencers was 6mm penny washers as baffles and a big O-ring as a spacer - repeat a few dozen times inside a tube. The ones I've seen have used that were made commercially have either a perforated tube passing through an expansion chamber, or a series of stacked baffles inside a chamber with a partially conical section pounting towards the shooter. One i saw seemed to have a series of spinnings that formed a rather beautiful series of nautilus-like sections between the baffles. I think you could spend a lot of time experimenting with this stuff.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 03:04:38 PM »
I have seen all sorts of stuff used, especially a few years back before rules were altered administratively by the ATF.
We have made some basic turned aluminum rod designs, about 6 chambers turned, inserted into a 1 inch tube, screwed together with a perforated nipple as the blast area. Work pretty fair for 22s, especially on longer barrels (over 5 inches). Simple lathe work and a drill press.
Looking at more exotic K, M, etc baffles and seeing all of the machining steps involved. I suspect a lot is diminishing return on the labor involved. Didn't know if some code was floating around on some of the steps.
We would love to stamp everything, but we need to research various shapes and angles, etc before investing in a tool set.
Fun stuff, though.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 03:13:47 PM »
i think the principle is to slow down the gasses that follow the bullet, so look into discs that alter it's flow. I've seen designs that have a pressed flute in each washer spaced apart by a disc, and this seems to work at that caliber.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 03:20:01 PM »
Correct. Slow and cool as well as disrupt gases after the initial blast baffle. The path from muzzle to blast baffle, as well as that baffle, needs to be symmetrical for bullet stabilization. After that, weird pretty much rules. And every twist and turn is time and money at the controls of the mill making the little suckers.