Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 10:52:47 PM

Author Topic: Need some g-code critique  (Read 2244 times)

Need some g-code critique
« on: March 31, 2011, 06:01:40 PM »
I found my problem with the nesting wizard, the code doesn't return to the zero'd start location so the indexing of the nested parts are offset each time by where the cutting finished.  There isn't any option in BobCAD/CAM that would generate that.  In my prior use of the wizards this wasn't a problem due to the geometry.

Unless someone knows the BobCAD secret handshake, I think that I need to end the g-code with a return to my initial zero point.  After some reading and looking at examples, it seems that G54 is what I need.  It wasn't clear to me if the G54 needs to be repeated later in the code or a G55, G56... is what i need.

Assume I manually jogged X, Y, Z to a position and I have "zeroed" those axis on the Program Run screen. 

/////

G54 (along with all other necessary g-codes)

G00X0.75 Y0.75 (this moves away from the zero'd points I started from)
Z0.5
Y2
X2
Y1
X1.5 Y1.5 (this location is not at my Program Run Screen zeroed starting point)

G00 Z0             (will this rapid the Z axis to the point I zeroed to on the Program Run screen?)
G00 X0 Y0        (will this rapid the X & Y axis to the points I zeroed to on the Program Run screen?)

/////

I tried a program (not this one), but it wasn't clear on the screen if the locaton changed and I didn't want to sacrifice a tool bit to the code gods.

Steve.

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,672 2,672
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Need some g-code critique
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 09:31:04 AM »
At the end of the program add this bit of code

G54 G00 G90 Z1.
X0 Y0
M30

This will move the machine back to your original zero point.

Make sure the Z axis is clear of the work first

If the cutter is not back at the start point then you may be loosing position during the cutting.

Graham
Without engineers the world stops