Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 03:26:12 PM

Author Topic: Can't Get Mach 3 To Work...Running Via USB.  (Read 7020 times)

Can't Get Mach 3 To Work...Running Via USB.
« on: March 29, 2011, 07:49:20 AM »
I purchased a Taig CNC kit from Soigeneris and got it all put together today with the Soigeneris STDR-4C USB 3 axis kit and I'm trying to run Mach 3 from my laptop. I can't figure out how to set the ports and pins to get it to recognize the USB. I entered my USB port address (which is 00001) and it wasn't responding to any commands given. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me get this thing to run? Thanks in advance.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Get Mach 3 To Work...Running Via USB.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 08:16:10 AM »
You would probably be better contacting Jeff at  Soigeneris seeing as he will know what he actually supplied to you but having said that it sounds like the SmoothStepper is part of the equipment. You will need to install the driver for the SmoothStepper so that windows recognises it and you will also need the plugin which Mach will need.
I would imagine Jeff would have supplied these to you along with your control.
Hood

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 08:19:25 AM »
I would suggest you contact Soigeneris directly on this one as they should have provided you with all the setup details necessary to install their drivers etc when you purchased the kit. Mach, on it's own, does not run directly from the USB.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 11:26:23 AM »
If it's any help,
The Warp9 Smooth Stepper documentation and drivers can be downloaded from here http://www.warp9td.com/
The Soigeneris SS installation notes etc are here http://www.soigeneris.com/Documentation-content.aspx

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 04:26:57 AM »
OK....I got it figured out...Now I just need to configure up the spindle settings apparently.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 05:02:49 AM »
:)
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 05:13:37 AM »
:)

Nevermind. I'm a bit sloooooow. I got it now. LOL. I couldn't figure out why every time I tried to do anything it kept saying "Reconfigure EStop"...I was looking through all the folders to see why it wasn't working. Then I decided I'd try and give the E-Stop a turn and see if it was pressed in. It was. ::)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:15:52 AM by Stonerarms »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 05:17:04 AM »
Ha ha I know, I have done that as well ;D

Hood
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 05:18:38 AM »
Ha ha I know, I have done that as well ;D

Hood
Yeah...perhaps my screen name should be changed to "Corky". I feel like a heel.

Now I can start playing around and see if I can't make some silencers!!!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:33:45 AM by Stonerarms »

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
If you look in the fileset there is a folder called 'Profiles' It has a Mach profile in there already set up for the STDR-4C and the Taig. All you have to do is drop it in the Mach install folder. Look on page 5 of the User's manual for a bit more information. Always feel free to give me a call or drop me an email as well. I try to make things as easy to set up as possible and I'm always around for tech support.

While I'm sure I can improve on the users manual, when you are first getting started out there seems to be about 5,000 pages of stuff you need to read to figure everything out. I just picked up some 'screen casting' software so I can make some set up videos showing the process step by step right as it appears on the PC screen. I think this will help make things easier and seeing something is often a lot nicer than reading about something.

Happy machining , Jeff Birt