Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:34:53 AM

Author Topic: Coil Winding 101  (Read 9379 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Coil Winding 101
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 04:08:24 PM »
Just some VB in the Load G-Code button.
The coils I make are for specific purposes so the amount of turns is usually the important part, I did make up a screenset that I needed the length, the wire dia the core dia and the max dia and the VB calculated the turns but that was never used.
Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 04:12:08 PM »
Thanks, Hood. It's a bit cleared now. Interesting too!

Dan
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 04:12:58 PM »
Hi Hood, please explain the necessity of the additional motor in place of a live center or bearing sleeve at the tailstock position.
Just curious,
Russ

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 04:25:48 PM »
No probs Dan

Hi Russ, the core was 0.5mm dia Mu metal, very soft stuff. At first I tried with a live centre to hold it in tension but it just spun into a spiral in seconds. Had to make up the second spindle so it would rotate at the same pace as the original and I could keep the core in tension for winding the wire on.
Hood
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 04:33:05 PM »
Ah, sort of what I expected but wasn't sure.
Thanks
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 10:15:48 PM »
Sorry for the delayed response, I've been out of town for awhile.

Hood, very nice looking winder, close to what I was envisioning.  What did you use for the wire guide?  Looks nice!  Also, being the nature of guitar pickups, I wind to a specific number of turns as well.  What do you recommend for varying the traverse feed rate throughout the coil?  I feel confident writing the code, but would rather have the machine copy my more subtle manual moves.  Also, I'll be using a laptop to run Mach3, so what plugin would you reccomend to control the spindle and traverse.  Last question, are there any reccomendations you could suggest for trying to record the manual movement of the motors?

Thanks,
Jeff

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 03:03:23 AM »
What did you use for the wire guide?
For the heavier (0.7mm) wire I wind it needs to be sort of decoiled so I made up a series of 3 delrin rollers that the wire snakes round, this seems to straighten the wire out and keep a bit of tension on it. For thinner wires I dont use the rollers, I just feed straight off the coil. The nozzle part is actually a mig welding contact tip for the heavier wire and for thinner wire I have a delrin nozzle that slips over that with a hole to suit the wire dia being wound at the time.
I have the bobbin holder, nozzle and rollers all fixed to the same part of metal and this can then slide in or out to get the feed nozzle as close to the finished dia of the coil as possible. It is totally manual and just locks by tightening a knurled screw to hold it in place.

What do you recommend for varying the traverse feed rate throughout the coil?
Not really sure what you mean here. I dont vary the traverse rate at all, the Z axis moves back and forth at a constant rate. It does slow down, stop and reverse obviously but Mach should keep the rotating axis in sync with it by slowing it slightly, it is hardly noticeable though.

I feel confident writing the code, but would rather have the machine copy my more subtle manual moves.    Last question, are there any reccomendations you could suggest for trying to record the manual movement of the motors?

Only real way I can see that could be done is by jogging the motors and having that recorded by one of the teach wizards/plugins (copycat, Jcode)

Also, I'll be using a laptop to run Mach3, so what plugin would you reccomend to control the spindle and traverse.
If using a laptop that has a parallel port then you may be lucky and get it to work, some laptops are ok but the vast majority will have timing issues due to their power saving features. You can get round this by using an external pulsing device, the SmoothStepper is what I use and it connects via USB.

Hood
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 07:57:52 PM »
Thanks again Hood, really helpful.

1 -- Delrin sounds like a good choice for the smaller wire, the mig tip is great, looks like it was meant for the job, but I'll be using too thin of wire for that.  The adjustabilty of the wire guide is a feature I didn't think of, and will have to work into the plans.

2 -- I realize you probably didn't adjust the feed throughout the wind, but that is a feature pretty important to my application.  I was thinking of using an iMach pendant for the z axis, and an iMach spindle tach for the spindle.  Would this work? Would I still need the smooth stepper you mentioned?  I realize I am very new to this all, and I'm sure I'm missing something, so please let me know if I'm not thinking correctly.

3 -- Will copycat or jcode work with a handwheel such as the iMach pendant, or is jog and handwheel not compatible?

4 --  My laptop does not have a parallel port, so will I need the smooth stepper (or simialar) to run off the laptop regardless of whether or not I buy an iMach pendant?

Thanks again,
Jeff

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 08:19:45 PM »
I have the mig tip there all the time and just have a bit delrin that slips over it, the other end of the delrin has a hole approx the size of wire I am using. 0.07mm is the thinnest I have used I think, gotta be careful with that, breath on it and it snaps ;D

So you are not winding at a uniform distance per revolution?
Yes you should be able  to use the JCode or CopyCAT with the pendant but you will still need a smoothstepper. You need to control the motors from Mach and as you dont have a parallel port that will output the signals to your drives you will need something else. The smoothstepper connects via USB and does the pulsing instead of the computer doing the pulsing. The smoothstepper still gets its instructions from Mach.

Hood