Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:53:10 AM

Author Topic: CNC Record Cutting Lathe  (Read 8474 times)

CNC Record Cutting Lathe
« on: March 27, 2011, 03:02:18 AM »
Alrighty, I started making my own machine about a month ago and wanted to make a record cutter so I could cut my own tunes here at home. The only problem was that some manufacturers charge about 10 grand for a decent cutter. Forget that, I'll build my very first machine ever myself, program it and get it running the way I'd like.

Though a work in progress, it all starts with an idea that you build on top of, and I did just that. I'm building my CNC record cutting lathe right on top of a Gemini SA 600 DJ turntable!

To my knowledge, there aren't any CNC record cutting machines out there, and people keep telling me if I want a record cutter, I'd be better off to build one. With my setup going, The next thing I'll be doing is mounting the frame for railing, adding the cutter head, and making final adjustments.

This cutter is going to be the best, I gave it spliced wire audio inputs, 8 gauge wiring for the AC audio, four 100 amp fuses on each line, and will add in a couple ammeters to read amp reading during cutting. I'm working on the cutter ytoo, which has two electromagnets powered by Neodymium, the strongest magnetics on Earth. The voice coils I built are very small about an inch, and very loud from the magnets that amplify the electro-magnetic core about 1000x. I gave the unit handles on each side too so I could carry the CNC around! 

I should have full frequency when finished, and figure I can get it to work with around 100 watts or less. I just put the huge fuses on to make the unit look cool when its built. Don't mind the messy wires, they'll be bolted down very soon. Not to mention I took the tonarm aoff, when the CNC is done, The cutter will take up its space.

Update to follow.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: CNC Record Cutting Lathe
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 04:48:49 AM »
Sounds like an interesting project - looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 04:59:00 AM »
Me too. This is my dream machine right here. Even dream about it when I sleep so I guess if I build it, they will come and want their dub plates made.

I have a set of Nema 17's and will run them at 1/16 microstep. 0.30" inches per minute on X.
The math is intense, but I'm getting the hang of it.

In the end, I figured 45 minutes of audio on each side of a 12".
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 05:10:59 AM by JungleStreetRecords »
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 05:07:03 AM »
Do you have any examples of how it work.

You talk about cutter, do you have picture of it.

Would be interested to see it in action

Jeff
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 05:16:28 AM »
I'll have video as soon as its built. For now, the cutterhead is all in pieces until I can build the Z axis tool holder.

I'm designing a sled to be compatible with all 3 XY and Z axes. All in one.

The electromags will be aimed at a diamond stylus 45 degrees each side to provide stereo,
and the stylus will be be held at 88 degrees from the blanks to help minimize dulling the stylus.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 05:23:51 AM »
Run the audio from amp through the electromagnets, but add your Ohmage resistance so you don't kill your amplifier.

a cutter would be something along the lines of this:
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 05:29:48 AM »
With an electromagnet mounted on each side of the cutter head. Wrap 22 gauge enamel coated copper wire around these, and you have a very powerful electromag that will vibrate the stylus when you cut the groove. For mine, I placed the magnets on the ouside of the coils, leaving the cores bare aluminum.

You can probably just use a machine screw and it might still work.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 05:32:46 AM »
with the audio from the amp being AC current, the aluminum cores become energized and interact with the Neodymium magnets.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 05:46:57 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Jeff