Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:00:21 PM

Author Topic: Step motors problem - no movement  (Read 10370 times)

Step motors problem - no movement
« on: March 26, 2011, 10:26:07 PM »
Hello to All,

I just bought cnc router on ebay about 2 weeks ago and I can not get my step motors to spin. I am completely new to all cnc and I just spend last 6h on this forum to try to work out what may be wrong with my router but even on other posts with similar problem I could not find the solution so please help. Here is the link to the cnc that I bought http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160554745917&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
I already change my win7 to win xp as I thought that may be a problem but still no luck. I set up mach3 with the instruction that was on the cd with the router ( images in the attachment ). The motors are locked and make some kind of noise but they don turn at all. I also already try to play with different settings in mach3 but the motor didn't move when I press arrow keys to jog. Also the spindle is running and when I pres reset button it stops so looks like something is working but I have no more ideas how to get step motors to move. I appreciate any help.

Thank You,
Marcin

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Step motors problem - no movement
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 03:30:37 AM »
First thing is drop the kernel down from 100KHz to 25 as that may give you more headaches than you want, start low and increase if you have to.
Will look at the docs in a bit but if you can attach your xml it may help me find a problem. Also are you using the motherboards port or do you have a PCi parallel port?
Hood

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 04:22:08 AM »
Just a couple of thoughts, things you may already have tried but.....

1) Try selecting the 'Sherline 1/2 pulse mode'
2) Try changing the axis step to 'active low' in ports and pins
3) Check you are getting the full TTL level (0 to 5Volts) outputs from your parallel port pins (this is best measured on the axis direction pins only)
4) Check your parallel cable is good (continuity pins 1 to 1, 2 to 2 etc)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 08:27:07 AM »
Hello and thank You for reply,

I changed kernel down to 25 but nothing is happening. Also I have tried steps 1,2 and 4 as twieakie suggested but I am not sure which pins to check on my parallel port. The router is connected to PP on my motherboard. Also this is strange that the spindle is running when the reset button is flashing which is an emergency mode and If I am not wrong everything should stop when you press this button but here is the other way round the spindle start to run and the step motors start making buzz noise. Is not coming sens to me.

Thank You,
Marcin

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 08:31:23 AM »
Have sent you a PM.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 09:49:42 AM »
I did new installation of mach3 and here is new xml file. The set up is as on the picture but nothing is changed so far. The parallel port dose not show bigger voltage the 3.3V on any of the pins.

Thanks,
Marcin

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 09:57:07 AM »
3.3v is likely correct as a lot of parallel ports nowadays are just 3.3v.

What  to do is as Tweakie said by  checking the voltage on the Direction pins direct on your port. You should see 0v when you jog one way and 5v (possibly 3.3v) the other.
I do notice in your xml you have pin 2 set for both Step and Dir of X, the dir should be 3 in the above docs.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 10:02:56 AM »
Also you have the limits set to port 11, 12 etc, set them to Port 1 Pin 11, Port 1 Pin 12 etc.

Hood
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 10:35:19 AM »
I set all to be port 1 but still nothing. Also there is something strange with the pins on my PP sometimes they show 3.3V but sometimes 0V. Also when I jog there is very minimal change on the  voltage from 0.05V to 0.09V bit no movement at all.

Marcin

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 10:44:50 AM »
Ok but check on the computer and on the direction pins as you jog mach one way or the other. Put your meter between Pin 3 and pin 25 on the port then jog the X via keyboard the voltage should change as you change direction, same if you put on pin 5 and jog Y and pin 7 and jog Z.
If you are not getting that then you are either connecting to the wrong pins on the port, easy to do but if you look at the pic below this is what you will see as you look at the back of the computer. If you are connecting your meter to the correct pins then make sure you have the correct port address set by looking in device manager.
Hood