Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:46:37 AM

Author Topic: new to mach3  (Read 7222 times)

brmachineshop

Re: new to mach3
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 12:09:06 AM »
Haha. Thanks for the links.  I will print those out tomorrow and start going over them.  Mine have not came in yet. My business partner may have forgotten to even order them yet ( will have to check on that tomorrow ) but I ordered the c10 thursday and maybe it will be here monday. I'm anxious, nervous, and excited to get the machine making chips again.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 03:03:50 AM »
I think Jackal may have answered you with the links but yes you do more or less as you said. The power for the motors/drives will need to come from a power supply that you have to provide. As you already have one for the original amps (drives) then it should be fine, just double check the voltage of it before you hook it to the drives but if I recall it should be well within the voltage the Dugongs can accept.

As fior Jackals question about the xml, if you are supplied an xml then its just a case of pasting or dropping into the main Mach3 folder, you can then use the Mach3 Loader icon to start Mach and then in the list you will see the name of the xml you just copied to the folder, click on that and it will start that profile.

Hood

brmachineshop

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 10:03:42 AM »
Thanks. Shouldn't be all that bad to hook everything up then. :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 10:08:56 AM »
Should be easy enough for most things :)
Is your spindle manual control at the moment or is it controlled via CNC?
Hood

brmachineshop

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 10:11:13 AM »
It has the variable speed wheel like bridgeports right now.  Planning on buying another c10 or a c11 later on and adding a variable speed drive.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 10:22:37 AM »
I am not keen on VFD control from my own experience as low down torque was missing. I have heard that using an Inverter duty motor helps a lot but not gone that route as I fitted servos instead.
 One thing that I had thought about doing was fitting a stepper motor instead of the  air motor/wheel and that may be something to think about as it should be fairly easy to set up and writing a spindlespeed macro would be relatively straight forward (even for me ;D )
Only problem I would see is you would have to have the motor running as you adjusted the speed as I think the stepper would stall if the speed was being reduced, certainly harder to turn the hand wheel if the motor is not running. Also may have to "home" the stepper on each start up of your machine, but something to think about.

Hood

brmachineshop

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 10:25:50 AM »
Thanks.  I will definitely look into that

Offline Jackal

•  169 169
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 12:31:56 PM »
Mine has a small motor 1/10 hp???? that turns the handle on the  side of the head for speed change. There is a sensor on the spindle that sends the info back jto a control card to tell it the rpm.  It has a +/- override switch on the front of the head.

I will try to hook it up where the override switch will adjust rpm's once Mach turns on the spindle in fwd or reverse.

High/low range will be manually selected for now.

JAckal
Everything is bio-degradable if you run over it enough with a lawnmower.

brmachineshop

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 01:36:26 PM »
The variable speed adjustment on mine has never worked. Really can only adjust high or low gear. When I had it initially checked out the guy said it would cost as much for him to fix it as it would to convert to a variable drive so that's on the list for once things are making money :)