Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 12:05:46 PM

Author Topic: MACHTURN AXIS CALIBRATION AND MDI  (Read 2348 times)

MACHTURN AXIS CALIBRATION AND MDI
« on: March 26, 2011, 06:05:33 PM »
 ??? ???
I have finally got movement on the axis of my lathe conversion but am having a hard time fine tuning the axis movements
in the Mill profile it had an axis calibration area where i could set up the steps/per but I cant seem to find it in the Turn profile
any suggestions??
Do I just switch back to te millt screenset and set the steps then switch back?
Also is there a MDI screen in Turn or is it just in the Mill profile?

Jayson

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: MACHTURN AXIS CALIBRATION AND MDI
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 03:07:29 AM »
You could just calculate the steps per unit, it is my preferred method as using the axis calibration will only ever be as accurate as your measurements where calculating will be as accurate as your hardware.

You could load the mill screen and use the calibration then change back to the lathe screen after and it should be fine, but I have never used it so cant say it will definitely work.

I dont use the standard screen for Turn but if I recall there are MDI lines on most pages rather than just a MDI page.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: MACHTURN AXIS CALIBRATION AND MDI
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 06:56:31 AM »
Jayson,
-The manual and cycle screens have an MDI line but they are not labeled in turn.
-Loading the mill screen set to calibrate the axis will work. Make sure you save the settings prior to closing Mach.

the axis calibration will only ever be as accurate as your measurements

Most folks will have a problem since they can't accurately measure a long distance ie; 12 , 24 , 36" distance. What you actualy do is
set / calibrate your steps based on a long axis travel and then check at a short travel. As far as the calculated, what Hood states is exactly true
and one must recognize that inaccuracies in each component of the axis may have an affect on the steps per unit.

RICH