Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:33:15 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 Driver test. Results for 3 computers, which is best? (PICS)  (Read 33187 times)

I have 2 practically new computers and 1 older computer.

Computer 1: Micro Atx intel motherboard, Intel E1400 2Ghz, Nvidia Quadro 3400, PCI parallel port card. (windows XP)
Computer 2: Mini ITX, Intel motherboard, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, On board graphics, On board parallel port. (windows 7)
Computer 3: ATX, Intel Motherboard, Pentium 4 1.8Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 6200, On board parallel port. (windows XP)

I would like to run as fast as possible. My Viper drivers are capable of 125Khz max input so i wont max them out. Currently have a smooth stepper running them but wanted to see how the parallel port works for me, and backlash compensation.

Attached are the pictures of each driver test screen shot. The numbers really didn't move much, nor did the graphs on any of them so each picture should accurately give everyone a decent assessment.

I built computer 1 to be the controller of my machine. I would just like someone to let me know how the numbers stack up, and if everything looks good! Thanks everyone!!

Computer 1: "microatx windows xp.JPG"
Computer 2: "mini itx atom windows 7.JPG"
Computer 3: "old pentium windows xp.jpg"
Re: Mach 3 Driver test. Results for 3 computers, which is best? (PICS)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 04:10:26 AM »
Also for a quick note! I have been using computer 3 (or the old pentium 4) with my current setup with no issues (with a smooth stepper). I wanted a little bit more horsepower and reliability from a newer computer so i built computer 1 as the replacement. Computer 2 is almost a exact duplicate of what tormach uses for its controllers.

Anyways! thank you!!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 04:41:48 AM »
All look decent with the first being the best in my opinion.
Did you know there is a plugin available for the SS which has backlash?
The few that have tested it seem to think it works well, shame only a few tested when so many moaned for so long about it not having backlash, then again thats just normal.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 06:05:12 AM »
shame only a few tested when so many moaned for so long about it not having backlash

Off topic but just had to comment.........
Glad Greg finaly implemented BC......thanks Greg. I am one of those moaners and haven't had a chance to try the new plug in.
After waiting a few years I fixed my backlash problem by removing it, but, that will not be the case for a lot of users.

RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 07:18:53 AM »
Rich there were many moaners and some a heck of a lot worse than simply moaners and they were doing so in the last weeks leading up to the release, so that is the ones I am aiming my comment at.
I have never asked for backlash, have never wanted it but I still tested it for Greg but I see none of the most vociferous complainers has even had the courtesy to thank Greg, you did so you are not in that group.
Hood
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:22:21 AM by Hood »
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 07:42:22 AM »
Yes, the 1st computer i plan on using. It is the newest and has the lowest maximum variation it seems like. The highest max variation i have seen it reach is 2 US. I will have to strip the computer down and see how clean i can get it running. I assume lower uS is always better. (i had about 23 processes in the background running in windows XP pro).

I have been a new active user over on the smooth stepper forum. I did see the new plugin that Greg has come out with! Pretty cool stuff! He has worked really hard on getting it up and running.

I have never ran my cnc machine without the smooth stepper so it will be interesting to see the outcome. I would like to bypass the SS temporarily, eliminating any extra realms a problem could be created. The smooth stepper has not given me a single problem at all and has been a joy to use.  My viper drives can only accept a 125Khz signa (max)l. Mach 3 can only output 100Khz through the parallel port. So i am getting an extra 25Khz by implementing it (SS) over the parallel port. My machine uses servos, and the rapids are already scary fast (for me). I figure if i use the parallel port @ 100Khz i will be down 20% in speed from the smooth stepper. My max jogging speed is 500ipm, and 800ipm (X,Y). If those get cut down 20% i can't complain since i will be rarely flying around at those speeds (worse case scenario, i haven't tested what my MAX speed is even @ 125khz and im still getting scary fast rapids so im doing well.)

For the time being i was just want to cut out any unnecessary things between the controller and machine. This way i will hopefully be able to find and address problems faster. I currently dont need USB, or 125Khz. I can live with 100Khz and the parallel port until i get a feel for the machine. (its a new machine, and im a noob).

By the time i get a feel for how it runs and what its doing, i can convert back over to the smooth stepper. By then im sure more people will have tested out the new driver and backlash plugin, furthering its success. :D

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 07:59:17 AM »
I am re-doing my Bridgeport at the moment and normally I use a Via Pico mobos (tiny things :)  ) but as I am needing dual Lan this build I decided to go with an Asus micro ATX with a 1600 Atom. Although I wont be using the parallel port I ran the driver test and was amazed at how good it was even at the 100KHz. I scoped the output and it was also quite nice but not as clean as the SS is at that or faster. I think however it would run fine at 100K from the PP if I was to go that route but I need almost 500KHz on this setup so it wont happen ;)
Hood
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 03:37:24 AM »
I am re-doing my Bridgeport at the moment and normally I use a Via Pico mobos (tiny things :)  ) but as I am needing dual Lan this build I decided to go with an Asus micro ATX with a 1600 Atom. Although I wont be using the parallel port I ran the driver test and was amazed at how good it was even at the 100KHz. I scoped the output and it was also quite nice but not as clean as the SS is at that or faster. I think however it would run fine at 100K from the PP if I was to go that route but I need almost 500KHz on this setup so it wont happen ;)
Hood

I tried to follow along to see how many Khz i would need to find a theoretical max speed in the mach manual but the wording is very confusing and frankly the example they use SUCKS. Anyone wanna give me a run down? I have 3200rpm servos with a 10:1 gear reduction on them followed by roughly a 1" output spur gear on a rack. I have 1000CPR US digital E6 encoders mounted on my servos. anyone have the equation?

Technically 3200rpm/10= 320rpm output MAX.
circufrence of 1" output gear is equal to pie (3.14). Take the 320rpm x 3.14 = 1004.8 inches per minute. This is my physical max limit.

Now with 1000CPR encoders with differential output, @ 1000 IPM what would i need for Khz?

Thanks!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 04:58:18 AM »
For your KHz you are
3200rpm times 4,000 encoder counts = 12,800,000 per min so divide by 60 and you will get per second or Hz, so it equals 213.333333KHz that you would require, so you would need something like the smooth stepper to get full motor RPM.
If using the PP 100KHz is the max which would mean your motors RPM would be restricted to 100,000/4,000 = 25 revs per second or 1,500 rpm

Hood
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 05:08:01 AM »
That is really odd. I have been running my X axis @ 800IPM, and Y axis @ 500IPM @ only 125Khz on the smooth stepper. My viper drivers only accept a maximum of of 125Khz input. I was told by viper to make sure that i don't exceed that number so i set it @ 125khz and left it. I believe the smooth stepper was set to 1Khz or 512mhz speed, and each axis was set to specifically 125Khz. How would you explain that? Thank you by the way for your time, it means a lot Hood!