Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:07:29 AM

Author Topic: re: Mach and it's conversion from inch to MM  (Read 4262 times)

re: Mach and it's conversion from inch to MM
« on: March 22, 2011, 07:44:54 PM »
Hi Guy's
I have a guy who sent me a G-code file the file is in inch's but i have my mill set up to move in MM so question if i change the unit setting from MM to inch will Mach do the conversion ?

Thanks
Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: re: Mach and it's conversion from inch to MM
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 07:53:40 PM »
Make sure there is a G20 at the start of the code you were sent and it should run fine.
Not sure what you are meaning by the Unit setting but if it is the native units then I would advise against doing that. Reason being you would then have to reset your steps per unit, your velocity and your acceleration to imperial units.

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 05:37:49 AM »
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 12:56:40 PM »
Hood
Yes i was talking about the native unit's from MM to Inches, when i set the machine up i like all my designs to be in MM so i set the steps per in MM The G-code i was sent was in inches and that's what i was wondering about how the scaling would work out and if Mach would do it or I had to convert it myself.
  Rich
Thanks for the conversion program this would make life easier how dose it work?

Many thanks to you both for the reply and help.

Dennis 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 02:22:51 PM »
Dennis, as said making sure there is a G20 at the start of the code would tell Mach that it is in inch units and it would run fine.
Grahams programme looks great as well and is probably the way I would go as I like to see the numbers I am used to. I looked earlier and its simple, download and run the exe, browse to the file you want to convert, give the new file a name, choose what units the new file is to be (mm or Inch) and then convert and thats it done, converted code has just been produced, load it and run :)
Hood
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 04:59:45 PM »
Hood
Thanks again for the reply and help, i will try the program as i like to see what i am used to seeing as far as the code goes after i run the convert program woul di have to make sure it is run through a Mach post ?

Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 05:06:44 PM »
If the original code was used in Mach then the converted code would as well as all that is happening is the values are multiplied or divided by 25.4.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 01:06:35 PM »
Hood
Thanks for the reply I did download the convert program but it will only read Tap files or it will not read the G-code file i was sent anyway i did see that the g-code did have a G-20 so Mach should do the math I'll give it a try and see how it go's thanks again.

Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 02:37:04 PM »
Try changing the extension of the file you were sent to .tap and see if it works.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 01:58:52 PM »
Hood
I was thinking about that i'll make a copy of the file in another folder first just in case it goes sideway's on me.

Thanks for the reply
Dennis