Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:59:26 PM

Author Topic: Bridgeport extrak retrofit  (Read 11112 times)

Bridgeport extrak retrofit
« on: November 22, 2006, 08:37:31 PM »
Hi, I have just purchased Mach 3, and am in the middle of retrofitting a bridgeport eztrak mill. I am fitting a stepper motor to the knee as the Z axis. The quill (old Z axis) has a glass scale on it and I want to use this as a manual setting point for machining and drilling. I have read the Mach 3 manual, but it doesnt give enough details as to connecting the scale, and using a 4th DRO (A, B, C) as a readout only. Can someone assist. Many Thanks  rogerbsstt.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgeport extrak retrofit
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 01:30:35 AM »
HI Rrogerbsstt

Haven't try-ed this but I'll give it a shot.

First goto Config, Port's Pin's,Motor Output's Enable A axis leave the Pin's and Port's 0, click Apply.

Now click on Encoder MPG's Tab, Set  Enable MPG # 1 Set A-port to 1, B-port to 1, then use 2 unused pin's on port 1 for your A, B, encoder input pin's,

Pin's 10-13,15 are the only one's you can use, Set the Count Unit's to 1 - 4, probably, 4 to calibrate, Click on Apply again then OK.

Now goto Config, General Configuration, Angular Properties, un-check A-Axis is Angular Click on OK

Then Hit the Tab-Key for Screen Pindent, Select Jog Mode to MPG, Click on Alt A, Click it till it is on A axis.

That should Work, There is Probably a better way to do this more perminant, Just a start to get you going.

Infact you can use the spindle to MPG your X,Y,Z, axis's. By selecting them, Pretty Scary HU.

Be Care-full, Chip

Hood

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 02:55:04 AM »
I had glass scales connected to my mill for a while, I used the Encoder inputs on the Ports and pins page and they worked great. If you want it to display on the DRO on the main page you could easilly enough change the DRO which is for the fourth axis to the OEM code for an encoder DRO. You would do this in screen 4 and it would only take you a few seconds to do ;)
 One thing I would say though is to take a good look at using the knee as the fourth axis as without some sort of counterbalance you are going to have to gear the knee motor quite a bit and it will be slow.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 03:21:39 PM »
Thanks for the info,
  Hood,  I have fitted a counterbalance system which gives me a total knee weight on the drive of 25 kgs. This appears to be enough to stop backlash and with the job weight on the table, should work.  We,ll see.
Rogerbsstt

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 03:54:34 PM »
Have you got any pictures? I would love to see some close ups of the countrweight set up.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 05:32:08 PM »
As soon as I complete the setup and tidy up the work area I will post some photos of the counter weight setup.  rogerbsstt

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 09:46:53 PM »
Hi, Rogerbsstt

Disregard my earlier Post on this, Hears a better way, I Think.

Hear is a screen .set I modified just a little, You need to set under, config, ports & pins, Encoder/MPG's, Encoder 4 to your A,B output to this.

Enable Encoder 4 Set A-port to 1, B-port to 1, then use 2 unused pin's on port 1 for your A, B, encoder input pin's,

Pin's 10-13,15 are the only one's you can use, Set the Count Unit's to 1000 - 4000, probably, 4000 to calibrate for .001 div., Click on Apply then OK.

Just make sure there outputs are no more than 5 Volt's.

Under Operator, Click on Auto/Calculator this will give you a Pop-Up window to Zero it, it works on other items also really nice.

To Zero the Quill Z click on DRO, Use,  Calc. Window to edit, You can pre-set to most any value.

Or use keyboard  to edit, Don't forget to hit enter Key.

Don't think I left anything out.

Oo, copy the set file to your Mach3 Folder, load-it give it a try.

Helps, I Hope, Chip.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 05:10:11 AM »
thanks Chip,
when I get to that point I'll try it .
rogerbsstt

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 01:02:31 PM »
Hi, Rogerbsstt

I have a series 2 Bridgeport, just starting conversion, It has a Z table with stepper also, they used an air cylinder assist for counter balance (shop air), Will allow 1000 Lbs on table.

Has a Quill-master Z spindle (air / hydraulic) 8 position adjustable stops, not sure I'll leave it or not. Encoder will be added ether way.

Hope your conversion is going well.

Thanks, Chip
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 05:51:04 PM »
Chip,

I originally used two chains over idler sprokets with lead weighted counterbalances, but before I got it completed I picked up a pair of gas struts (220 lb force ea), and am now adapting them to the knee. If that doesnt work, I can always go back to the counterbalance weights.
The only real problem I have is I have not been able to get an accurate weight of the knee assy, so Im guessing a lot. I have been given 600lbs, down to 450 lbs. Does anyone actually know ??? please tell me if you do. Unfortunately I dont have air available, so thats out. Thanks.   rogerbsstt

Another question. My machine is set up to only have a limit switch at the end of each axis, that is used for a limit and a home, I think. Can I use this setup to home the machine to these limit switches and then somehow enter a work area size in Mach 3 to specify the working limits of the machine? This would reduce the number of switches and pins needed.

Thanks rogerbsstt
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 06:11:00 PM by rogerbsstt »