Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 06:06:55 AM

Author Topic: Solidworks, to solidcam, to mach 3.  (Read 20580 times)

Solidworks, to solidcam, to mach 3.
« on: March 22, 2011, 03:53:55 AM »
Is it that simple? Do i need a post processor for the Gcode to work correctly on mach 3? I have a simple 3 axis gantry machine, that will use mach 3..

Thanks everyone!!

(also, anyone using it? like it? )
Re: Solidworks, to solidcam, to mach 3.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 03:54:43 AM »
I do everything with solidworks, so if anyone even knows of a cam program that really flows with the solidworks files, or even a better plugin, also feel free. I have heard good things from solidcam though.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 04:59:55 AM »
MasterCam is well integrated with SolidWorks.

Original name, MasterCam for SolidWorks.

Jeff
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 03:41:22 AM »
I have axis to Mastercam X5. I will have to try it out. I'm looking for something user friendly.
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 06:33:50 AM »
Good cam software are not usually user friendly.

There's a good learning curve and very often, it will take at least a year to be comfortable with this kind of software.

Jeff
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 08:29:11 PM »
I use solidworks 2008 and solid cam with my Sherline mill. The programs have more options then I do.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 08:30:50 PM »
I use solidworks 2008 and solid cam with my Sherline mill. The programs have more options then I do.

Thanks Craig! Do you use solidcam inside solidworks or stand alone?
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 08:33:46 PM »
You must have Solidworks to run solid cam. Cam references Works for part information.
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 09:08:21 PM »
I agree with Jeff not user friendly. But it has good tutorials the explain the steps in creating the code. There are a fair amount of options and required check boxes and fields to be filled in. I am a veteran with SW and still learning Solidcam.

Offline pgh3

•  28 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 10:43:04 PM »
What is the price of SolidCam? I've downloaded the demo version and looked at their website but have no idea on how much it is....
It does seem very user un-friendly, but then so was SolidWorks until I bought a book on how to drive it.

Going from a black and white drawing of say, for example, a noughts and crosses game, what is the best or most suitable software to create G-code that does not produce a raster scan cut...?
Because that is what Bmp2Cnc does. So if SolidCam is affordable, it could be a better option?

Peter