Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 03:07:44 PM

Author Topic: Mach Tool Info  (Read 6523 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Mach Tool Info
« on: March 16, 2011, 11:48:42 PM »
On Mach3 screen I can see the Tool Number I use but I dont see the diameter or the height as per attached picture.

Is this normal or I do something wrong?
Nicolas
Re: Mach Tool Info
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 01:27:14 AM »
Have you updated the tool table to fill the tool number, tool diameter and lenght.

Config, tool table

Jeff

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 08:00:12 AM »
Thanks Jeff,

No I did not because I thought since Mach imported the tool number from LazyCam (3) it should have imported the rest info.

So I guess I will have to update the tool info in both Mach and LC

BTW under Height is this the tools total height or just the cutting height (how much it extends below the chuck) ?

Nicolas
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 06:08:34 PM »
Normally, tool height is always taken from under the spindle to the tip of the tool

Same thing for any tool holder or taper type like BT-30, BT-40 or BT-50

But if you always measure your tools the same way, this not so important.

Jeff

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 06:19:58 PM »
Thanks for the info Jeff and the photos

That's a very nice micrometer you got. Can I ask where did you buy it
Nicolas
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 10:57:44 PM »
Would like that if it could be mine.

Those pictures are from the manual of MachStdMill.

Hope they don't mind.

Jeff
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 02:57:29 AM »
Hi,
Jeff - As the author of MachStdMill, Thank you mentioning the software - positive word of mouth is nice to see. I don't mind small excerpts from the MSM manual (as long as credit is given for the source).

Nicolas - The height gauge in the pics is a Mitutoyo - it was a craigslist find a couple of years ago - a deal I couldn't   pass up.

Some tips: Understanding Tool Length Offsets often starts with being careful about the wording used.  The key letter in TLO is the "O" for Offset. The TLO value that goes in the tool table is an offset, which is usually NOT the same as the tool's physical length.  That may sound a bit odd, but it's true.

The actual TLO value will depend on what technique you use to set Z0 for the part. If you'd like a good description of the topic, I humbly suggest the user manual for my MachStdMill software. The manual is a free download and there's a lot of info in the manual even if you are not using the MSM software.  visit www.CalypsoVentures.com to get the manual.

And hey, if while browsing the manual, you decide to try out the software, you won't be first to take that path  ;)

Dave

Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 08:00:50 AM »
I didn’t know about the MachStdMill and visiting the site looks pretty interesting

I add it to my wish list along with the Mitutoyo gauge

Thanks Dave
Nicolas

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 06:30:19 PM »
Kolias, if its for tool length measuring off machine then maybe making your own height setter would be an idea. I made one, I used a glass scale at first but it broke so I ended up using an encoder and timing belt. It feeds direct into Mach and I can update the tool table at the press of a button :)
Heres a link to some pics. http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,10331.msg93511.html#msg93511
Hood

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 06:54:20 PM »
Since you're using a router, the easiest thing to do is make an auto zero touch plate. Costs about $1, and you never need to mess with the tool table.

Unless you have a spindle with an automatic tool changer, you can't really measure your router bit's length anyway, until it's in the router.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html