Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 11:58:35 PM

Author Topic: galil combination for tool changer, mpg  (Read 2945 times)

Offline diygranite

•  13 13
  • oops
    • View Profile
galil combination for tool changer, mpg
« on: March 16, 2011, 02:37:55 PM »
The information on my machine is in Show nTell in this thread: http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,17828.0.html

1. I wanted to know what my options are if I want to use a galil 1740 for 4 axis and spindle control and toolchanger. Do I necessarily have to use the galil for spindle control or is there an addon or modbus for that?
2. I suppose I could use a modio for tool changer to talk to omron plc and do i need an addon modio for pendant/mpg?
3. Can you use any Modbus with the galil or do you have to use the galil Rio?

Thanks

Morris

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
Re: galil combination for tool changer, mpg
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 04:16:30 PM »
You can use any modbus devices with the Galil plugin. Spindle can be by VFD if yu want. You have the choice between the Rio or any other modbus device. But please use the MPG in the plugin with Galil I/O if possible. The MPG encoder can be wired to use an auxiliary encoder input on one of the existing servo axes.
Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.

Offline diygranite

•  13 13
  • oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 05:14:12 PM »
whats the difference between pulse width modulation (PWM) inverters and AC inverter that I have with the ARNI board and VFD (variable frequency drive). PWM uses an axis in the galil but VFD does not? Would i have to replace my drive with vfd drive? or am i really confused?

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 06:32:45 PM »
Sorry, I'm not familiar with your drive. You will need to control speed from modbus as unless you are going to use the Galil for spindle control, you won't have any pwm outputs available.
Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.