Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:42:05 AM

Author Topic: Basic 2 Motor Single Axis  (Read 3483 times)

Basic 2 Motor Single Axis
« on: March 07, 2011, 01:57:04 PM »
Hi,

I need some basic information about your software before I begin my project.  I hope to build a lathe like machine that will have only 2 stepper motors inline on the same axis.  My requirement is that both motors will spin at the same rpm (in opposite directions) under one routine and one motor will spin a certain number of turns in any particular direction while the other remains stationary in another routine.  That is pretty much all that it needs to accomplish.  I want that each routine is able to be  manually initiated and controlled because the process requires manual intervention during the process. 

I am  not at all familiar with CNC but it looks like the software is far more advanced than i need.  I am alright with that as long as it can do this basic requirement but if there is a less advanced version it would be ideal.  Any recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Basic 2 Motor Single Axis
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 02:14:15 PM »
Do you need to have the two operations withing the same programme or will they be done at seperate times?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 02:44:58 PM »
If I understand you question; they would not run consecutively.  There would be a pause between the two operations due to manual manipulation of the material.  As an example;  push button #1 to perform task 1 and stop. Then push  button #2 to start task #2 and push  button #2 again to end task two would be ideal.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 02:53:37 PM »
Ok so you will need to set them up as two seperate axis and have your code command them, for example if you wanted one motor (call it X) rotate for a certain distance and have the other (call it Y) rotate  the same distance at the same time your code would look something like this

G1 X 100 Y 100 F100

What that would do is make each axis work in sync and start and stop at the same tiime (presuming both started at zero)

For your next part you would just command the one axis to move, so say something like
G1 X 200 F100

Then if you wanted to again command both to move again it would be

G1 X300 Y200 F100.

Is that the kind of thing you are wanting?

BTW the F word is the Velocity in units per min, so if set in Imperial it would be 100 inch per min, if Metric it would be 100mm/min

Hood
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 03:45:59 PM »
Thank you Hood! 

Your explanation makes perfect sense to me and appears that it is relatively simple to write procedures with this software.  I'm guessing that G1 represents motor group 1?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 03:54:41 PM »
G1 means linear  move at the defined feedrate,
G0 is a linear move at rapid ( Velocity set in motor tuning)
G2 and G3 are Clockwise and anticlockwise cirdular moves

Hood
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 03:59:37 PM »
Ok,  Thanks!

lpop