Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:45:48 AM

Author Topic: External EStop Requested  (Read 13445 times)

Offline ALR

•  13 13
    • View Profile
External EStop Requested
« on: March 06, 2011, 01:33:54 PM »
I have now been able to run my home built CNC router.  I am learning to use Mach 3 and the machine.  I loaded the Roadrunner.tap g-code that came with Mach 3 into the machine and without the router powered the program went through the program without issue.  I put some material in the machine and set the soft limits to the material and started the program with the router running.  About 1/5 of the way through the code the program stops and the reset button is flashing with a message saying "External Estop Requested".  None of the limit switches have been triggered.  I can turn the router off and can reset the program.  Within seconds of turning the router back on the reset light flashes with the same message.  This is with no movement of any of the axis.

The diagnostic screen indicates that the e stop switches are not activiated.  I can manually trigger the estop ligh ton the diagnostic screen by manipulating any of the switches.

The power cord for the router is no where near any of the wires for the z axis or limit switches, so I don't think it is electrical interference causing the problem.  However, since the problem only occurs when the router is powered, I suspect it has to be electrical noise.  I have also checked all of the electical controls and none are elevated in temperature.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get around the problem? :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: External EStop Requested
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 01:37:50 PM »
Two things it could be, one is electrical noise the other vibration. Both of these could be making Mach see a limit switch input. Mach is fast and you may not even see the LED on the diagnostics screen light as its too fast to show.
Best course of action is to make sure your limits and E-Stop wiring is properly shielded and grounded but you can also set a debounce interval on the General Config page. That will make Mach ignore signals unless the persist for longer than the time set, try 2000 to see if it helps.
As said however it is best to properly shield and ground wires rather than using software to mask the problem.
Hood

Offline ALR

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 02:53:24 PM »
Thanks Hood,  The problem is mechanical vibration in one of the limit switches.  I felt a lot of vibration in the Y axis switch and loosened the screw holding it in place and the problem went away.  I tried a debounce interval of upto 3000 and it still tripped.  I am going to have to find a way to isolate the vibraiton from the router. 

One other problem I noticed is that the machine's soft limits have moved.  About have way through the roadrunner program the tool path seems to have shifted about an inch.  Could this also be associated with the mechanical vibration or could it be from electrical noise.

ALR

Offline ASC

•  59 59
    • View Profile
    • Automation Systems
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 02:57:28 PM »
the moving soft limits seems to indicate that the machine wasn't homed properly.  In regards to electrical noise, placing a small capacitor between the offending signal and signal ground works wonders in reducing noise.
Mr. Creosote
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 11:57:40 AM »
Thanks Hood,  The problem is mechanical vibration in one of the limit switches.  I felt a lot of vibration in the Y axis switch and loosened the screw holding it in place and the problem went away.  I tried a debounce interval of up to 3000 and it still tripped.  I am going to have to find a way to isolate the vibration from the router. 

One other problem I noticed is that the machine's soft limits have moved.  About have way through the roadrunner program the tool path seems to have shifted about an inch.  Could this also be associated with the mechanical vibration or could it be from electrical noise.

ALR
Two things it could be, one is electrical noise the other vibration. Both of these could be making Mach see a limit switch input. Mach is fast and you may not even see the LED on the diagnostics screen light as its too fast to show.
Best course of action is to make sure your limits and Stop wiring is properly shielded and grounded but you can also set a debounce interval on the General Config page. That will make Mach ignore signals unless the persist for longer than the time set, try 2000 to see if it helps.
As said however it is best to properly shield and ground wires rather than using software to mask the problem.
Hood
I am having the same problem but I don
t have a machine hooked up so it must be in the settings,
On the computer with the machine one setup of Mach3 works properly but another gives me the Estop requested error, could I copy the settings from one to the other? And if so what particular files would I copy? Thanks Jimini

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 06:53:38 PM »
Not really sure what you are meaning when you say one setup works ok and the other doesnt, are you opening two different profiles?
Hood
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 09:23:47 PM »
Yes exactly right I haven't checked whether the settings are different or not.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 04:03:22 AM »
Not really sure why you would want to use two different profiles but have them the same but easy enough to do if you wanted. Just find the good ones xml, it will be in the main Mach3 folder and have the name of the profile followed by the xml file extension. Copy that to your desktop then rename to the name you have given the other profile then paste it back into the Mach3 folder. That will overwrite the other xml and when you open it from the Mach loader it will be exactly the same as your original.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 11:10:12 AM »
Thanks a lot actually the other profile was just testing on my bedroom computer.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 11:36:09 AM »
Ok then just copy over the machines xml to your bedroom computer and it should be fine. If you have limits and E-Stop switces on the machine you will likely have to change the active state for the Limits and E-Stop settings (config menu then Ports and Pins then Inputs)

Hood