Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 08:06:36 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 locks up when a gcode file is missing?  (Read 3268 times)

Mach 3 locks up when a gcode file is missing?
« on: March 06, 2011, 10:30:12 AM »
Having been using Mach3 for about 2 years now with no issues.  Recently, I added a WiFi card to my workshop PC used to drive Mach3 so I didn't have to carry USB drives back and forth with me from my office where I do my CAD/CAM work to my workshop PC.  Just being lazy since I tend to forget the USB card in the workshop PC when I need to make a change to a drawing or gcode and go back to my office.....  Anyway, if there is a network glitch or  Mach3 cannot retrieve the file I want from my office PC via the WiFi connection, it just locks up and never gives me a 'file not found' or 'file not available' message.  Is there a way to interrupt Mach3 so it stops looking for a file without cancelling Mach3 or rebooting the PC?  I have tried everything I know to interrupt Mach3 without loosing the session but no success.

Thanks
Don

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 3 locks up when a gcode file is missing?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 10:38:53 AM »
I don't think Mach was ever made NETWORK aware so there are no error codes or exists that deal with failed networks.

I don't know of any workarounds for that problem.

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 11:04:59 AM »
Hi Don,

You should be able to explore your network with Mach minimised - just brouse like you were using a normal PC
Put the GCODE file into a local directory / folder on your Mach3 PC and when loading a file with mach, just go to the local folder and open it from there.

I dont have my network card enabled on my Mach3 pc because of the possible glitches this may cause.

ATB
Derek
You can "chop it off" but can't "chop it on"

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 11:33:47 AM »
Always best to have the file on the computer Mach is on.
I do all my work on the desk computer and transfer files over to the machine (Mills or lathe) via network and then go to the machine and load the code from the local folder. Never a problem doing it that way. If you need to change something then you can close the code in Mach, go back to your desk, alter the file and then reload to the machines folder overwriting the previous file.
Hood
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 11:43:31 AM by Hood »
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:51:36 AM »
Thanks all,  will probably follow the advise to load the file(s) into a local directory on the PC where Mach3 is run.  I have had no issues with Mach3 when the WiFi card is active.

Don